Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,697   Posts: 1,669,681   Online: 887

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It can mean so many things: Blown
    Indeed and full of confusion, but we can't fix that.

Only the context might clue us in.

If an engine is blown, it's either terribly damaged or it's good thing because it has forced induction.

Or blow is cocaine, or a crude intimate verb.

Or blown is a bad thing, but full blown is a superlative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate photographers who refer to themselves and other photographers as "Artist"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I hate photographers who refer to themselves and other photographers as "Artist"
    It's a more accurate description for me that hoarder/collector or gear whore.
    We don't all have to be artists, but why not if our pursuit in photography is mostly artistic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    It's a more accurate description for me that hoarder/collector or gear whore.
    We don't all have to be artists, but why not if our pursuit in photography is mostly artistic?
    Because in my experience of about sixty years in photography they are mostly barely competent photographers, and anybody these days who owns an entry level D.S.L.R. considers themselves one, and in my book "self advertisement is no recommendation" and talk's cheap.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then "professional" and "wedding photographer" and "photojournalist' and "journalist" should have gone along with "artist."

What about photographers who make sandwiches at Subway? They are sandwich artists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then "professional" and "wedding photographer" and "photojournalist' and "journalist" should have gone along with "artist."

What about photographers who make sandwiches at Subway? They are sandwich artists.
    My humble opinion in the matter is that it's pretentious to call yourself an artist. It's better to call yourself a photographer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format

And people who drink alcohol to excess are " piss artists". Professional photographers, wedding photographers,and photojournalist are not by definition artists, but craftsman,or artisans.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-12-2014 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My humble opinion in the matter is that it's pretentious to call yourself an artist. It's better to call yourself a photographer.
    Not to me. But I live in a region and in a community that is thick with folks who make art and consider themselves artists. It's just a job description basically. Individuals may or may not be pretentious about it. The art may or may not be great. That's the way it goes. If someone will hate me for it without knowing me or what I do that is their problem, seems prejudicial to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can't stand 'High-Dynamic-Range' / HDR. Especially when occasionally seen as a verb.

How about we replace it with 'the range of the scene was too much, so I had to fake it in Photoshop with multiple images'
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing pretentious about artist here either. It basically means you are either poor, married well, or a little bit crazy. There's a zillion of them around. You setup a view camera or painting easel in the downtown here, and you'll be completely ignored.

More often then not, pro photographers or wedding photographers are people who got a DSLR and are better than their facebook friends at that, and sell their services on Clist for 1/3 what an experienced and skilled craftsman might.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin