Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,131   Online: 1148

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then "professional" and "wedding photographer" and "photojournalist' and "journalist" should have gone along with "artist."

What about photographers who make sandwiches at Subway? They are sandwich artists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Then "professional" and "wedding photographer" and "photojournalist' and "journalist" should have gone along with "artist."

What about photographers who make sandwiches at Subway? They are sandwich artists.
    My humble opinion in the matter is that it's pretentious to call yourself an artist. It's better to call yourself a photographer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post

And people who drink alcohol to excess are " piss artists". Professional photographers, wedding photographers,and photojournalist are not by definition artists, but craftsman,or artisans.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-12-2014 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My humble opinion in the matter is that it's pretentious to call yourself an artist. It's better to call yourself a photographer.
    Not to me. But I live in a region and in a community that is thick with folks who make art and consider themselves artists. It's just a job description basically. Individuals may or may not be pretentious about it. The art may or may not be great. That's the way it goes. If someone will hate me for it without knowing me or what I do that is their problem, seems prejudicial to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can't stand 'High-Dynamic-Range' / HDR. Especially when occasionally seen as a verb.

How about we replace it with 'the range of the scene was too much, so I had to fake it in Photoshop with multiple images'
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing pretentious about artist here either. It basically means you are either poor, married well, or a little bit crazy. There's a zillion of them around. You setup a view camera or painting easel in the downtown here, and you'll be completely ignored.

More often then not, pro photographers or wedding photographers are people who got a DSLR and are better than their facebook friends at that, and sell their services on Clist for 1/3 what an experienced and skilled craftsman might.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's strange I worked in a professional photographic dealers for almost twenty years where more then 90%of the customers were working professionals and I never heard any of them refer to themselves or any of their associates as "Artists". It's only wannabes who do.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-12-2014 at 01:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Not to me. But I live in a region and in a community that is thick with folks who make art and consider themselves artists. It's just a job description basically. Individuals may or may not be pretentious about it. The art may or may not be great. That's the way it goes. If someone will hate me for it without knowing me or what I do that is their problem, seems prejudicial to me.
    Yes, I do judge, and I'm not ashamed of it either. (People judge all the time, but just don't like to admit it).

And in my judgmental ways I think calling yourself an artist is pretentious. Why? To be an artist assumes a high degree of skill, that you are very good at what you do. To be the judge of your own skill and deem it very high and to therefore call yourself an artist is - pretentious (to present yourself to be more impressive than you maybe really are).

'Photographer', 'Painter', 'Sculptor', etc is simply more honest and to the point, and doesn't sound like anything other than exactly what one does to express.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would agree, as others should judge if you are worthy of that title.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I do judge, and I'm not ashamed of it either. (People judge all the time, but just don't like to admit it).

And in my judgmental ways I think calling yourself an artist is pretentious. Why? To be an artist assumes a high degree of skill, that you are very good at what you do. To be the judge of your own skill and deem it very high and to therefore call yourself an artist is - pretentious (to present yourself to be more impressive than you maybe really are).

'Photographer', 'Painter', 'Sculptor', etc is simply more honest and to the point, and doesn't sound like anything other than exactly what one does to express.
    It does?

I don't think so. "Artist" is a noun, not an adjective. By itself it says nothing about whether one is claiming to be a good artist or a bad one (or anywhere in between.)

I think this comes up WRT photography over the notion that photography has to rise to some undefined but better-than-common level to be "art" otherwise it isn't. I'm not so sure of that. I've seen some pretty awful art that I still admit is "art" just bad art. This is as true of photography as it is any other art form.

Not all photography is done for "artistic" (meaning, for me here anyway, "self expressive") purposes, but when it is, it is art, even if it is not GOOD art.

"Art" is just a more general term than "photographer" "sculptor" "painter" and so on, just as "musician" is more general than "guitarist."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin