Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,738   Online: 1239

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I would agree, as others should judge if you are worthy of that title.
    In my world it is a profession, a professional title, not a value statement or honorary title conferred by others who deem you worthy. I know many who derive some or all of their income from artistic endeavors. They pay taxes and list 'artist' as their occupation. Nobody thinks it strange or putting on airs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not when you call yourself an "artist", it's when Artists call you one.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's not when you call yourself an "artist", it's when Artists call you one.
    What's not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Find a dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It does?

I don't think so. "Artist" is a noun, not an adjective. By itself it says nothing about whether one is claiming to be a good artist or a bad one (or anywhere in between.)

I think this comes up WRT photography over the notion that photography has to rise to some undefined but better-than-common level to be "art" otherwise it isn't. I'm not so sure of that. I've seen some pretty awful art that I still admit is "art" just bad art. This is as true of photography as it is any other art form.

Not all photography is done for "artistic" (meaning, for me here anyway, "self expressive") purposes, but when it is, it is art, even if it is not GOOD art.

"Art" is just a more general term than "photographer" "sculptor" "painter" and so on, just as "musician" is more general than "guitarist."
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the curious:
    Merriam-Webster's definition of "artist":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/artist

They say "noun".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    For the curious:
    Merriam-Webster's definition of "artist":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/artist

They say "noun".
    For the even more curious:

art·ist
    noun
    \ˈär-tist\

: a person who creates art : a person who is skilled at drawing, painting, etc.

: a skilled performer

: a person who is very good at something

Full Definition of ARTIST

1 a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts
    b archaic : physician
    c archaic : artisan 1
    2 a : one who professes and practices an imaginative art
    b : a person skilled in one of the fine arts
    3: a skilled performer; especially : artiste
    4: one who is adept at something <con artist> <strikeout artist>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Find a dictionary.
    Uncharacteristically snarky Thomas - I guess this is a real sore spot with you. But ok:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/artist

art·ist
    [ahr-tist] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
    a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter or sculptor.
    a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
    a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
    a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.

You seem to be using primarily meaning #5. I think of it as mostly meaning #1, or 2 when photography is included, which I think by now it should be.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is strange! All manner of interpretations this way and that.

Here in Australia, I am a long-standing practitioner member of the National Association of Visual Arts which is the umbrella organisation representing the interests of artists around the country. My listing in their services handbook is ARTIST PHOTOGRAPHER, and has been since 1997. It is not an archaic term by any stretch. I do not make it wished for that I am any sort of exclusive artist (but there are a few who definitely are), just that I am a photographer and produce photographic work to as very high finished standard. My brethren are yet more photographers, digital artists, animators, traditional brush and media practitioners, ceramic artists, sculptors, 3D modellers, abstract designer-artists and many more categories that would probably come across as obscure in this thread. We are all and one under many different categories. I'm sure other countries have organisations representing artists and their interest in professional and interactive practice.

Photographers are also very commonly referred to as visual arts practitioners when they exhibit either solo or in a group. This might come across as a strange term to a lot of people; I think Photographer still says everything necessary and obvious, succinctly and without floss!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry about snarky, but as you can see, it depends on how one interprets the word.

To me 'artist', or the status of being one, is earned, by recognition of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Uncharacteristically snarky Thomas - I guess this is a real sore spot with you. But ok:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/artist

art&#183;ist
    [ahr-tist] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
    a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter or sculptor.
    a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
    a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
    a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.

You seem to be using primarily meaning #5. I think of it as mostly meaning #1, or 2 when photography is included, which I think by now it should be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a print in an art show last month. My print was actually the only piece in the (one day) show that sold. I don't claim that makes me a GOOD photographer or even an "artist" much less a good one but what does one put in an art show? "Objects with pretension to art?"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin