Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,973   Posts: 1,523,590   Online: 901

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I had a print in an art show last month. My print was actually the only piece in the (one day) show that sold. I don't claim that makes me a GOOD photographer or even an "artist" much less a good one but what does one put in an art show? "Objects with pretension to art?"
    If you are a photographer you enter photographs, if you're a painter you enter a painting, if you're a screen printer you enter a screen print.

Look, I'm not going to agree with you, and you're not going to agree with me. It's time to agree to disagree and move on, otherwise I'm just going to have to have the last word.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hum, ok then. One guy did a performance too (wonderfully - and he's a friend of mine) so he, well, performed a performance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, if you are well known in arts circles, if you are a member of a professional organisation representing artists (visual or any other type), you and others will be known as artists, visual artists or arts practitioners as a term of professional acknowledgement of your craft and/or work. It it not about pretentious status. The other thing that here in Australia at least, artists do not have an Artist Wage; whatever income is derived from the production of work is the wage, and it can be well below the poverty line, thus many artists struggle, many more photographers struggle too. The very best work will not guarantee a sale. Reputation, community involvement, word-of-mouth and professional practice all combine to define the success (or failure) of practising artists (and photographers).

True, too, photographers are regularly represented in art shows. Good that you sold a print. But to survive as a visual artist, you must sell several a week, continuously, every week. Every month. Every year.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I'm none of those things, nor do I call myself an artist, I was just tossing out a reason why the term maybe ought to be pretty broad. I entered a print in something billed as an art show (or actually "art ashram" see my post in the southeast region US forum here about it) along with other photos, paintings, sculptures, a performance piece etc.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 02-12-2014 at 03:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I'm none of those things, nor do I call myself an artist, I just tossing out a reason why the term maybe ought to be pretty broad. I entered a print in something billed as an art show (or actually "art ashram" see my post in the southeast region US forum here about it) along with other photos, paintings, sculptures, a performance piece etc.
    Congratulations, Roger. You are now a Artist Practitioner-Licentiate.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If you are a photographer you enter photographs, if you're a painter you enter a painting, if you're a screen printer you enter a screen print.

Look, I'm not going to agree with you, and you're not going to agree with me. It's time to agree to disagree and move on, otherwise I'm just going to have to have the last word.
    The difference between you and Roger is that you are right and Roger is wrong.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The difference between you and Roger is that you are right and Roger is wrong.
    Um, ok then. Glad we got that sorted out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hum, ok then. One guy did a performance too (wonderfully - and he's a friend of mine) so he, well, performed a performance.
    I hope it was a good performance. Was it a dance, maybe butoh, sketch, or perhaps a comedy act? Perhaps it was a song, pantomime, or a soliloquy?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Congratulations, Roger. You are now a Artist Practitioner-Licentiate.
    There we go. Something like a formal wannta-be, huh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Yes, I do judge, and I'm not ashamed of it either. (People judge all the time, but just don't like to admit it).

And in my judgmental ways I think calling yourself an artist is pretentious. Why? To be an artist assumes a high degree of skill, that you are very good at what you do. To be the judge of your own skill and deem it very high and to therefore call yourself an artist is - pretentious (to present yourself to be more impressive than you maybe really are).

'Photographer', 'Painter', 'Sculptor', etc is simply more honest and to the point, and doesn't sound like anything other than exactly what one does to express.
    So my wife should refer to herself as a printmaker, photographer, painter, sketcher who occassionaly does clay work? Or instead of saying a printmaker should she say woodblock, lino, serigraph, etching (and that too can be broken down) printmaker?

When I hear a person when asked what they do and they answer they are a photographer I think commercial or wedding photographer whereas artist more likely means they are shooting for themselves same as a painter does rather than on commissions or as paid jobs.

In the end words are for communicating and when we need to replace a word or two with a couple of sentences that may almost convey the same idea then communications is weakened not strenghtened.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin