Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,848   Online: 902

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    The same guy called Delta "clinical". What the hell does that mean?
    Maybe doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists prefer to use Delta films?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It means that he is sick.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To me 'artist', or the status of being one, is earned, by recognition of others.
    I think we all agree on that. It is fine if the term is used generically or collectively, as in representation, law, etc. In the individual sense, especially in self-reference, it seems pretentious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    I think we all agree on that. It is fine if the term is used generically or collectively, as in representation, law, etc. In the individual sense, especially in self-reference, it seems pretentious.
    At the risk of repeating myself, you're an artist, when Artists consider you one, as my aunt once said to her son years ago when he qualified from medical school " to me you're a doctor, to the rest of your family you're now a doctor, but to other doctors are you a doctor ?.
    Ben

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Lexicon devilry

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    "contemporary vintage photographs" [prepare to hurl!]
    Honestly....why? Vintage...........uuuuuurgghhh! Also when Edward Weston was referred to as an artist he replied, ''delete, or change to photographer,of which I am very proud !''.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    "contemporary vintage photographs" [prepare to hurl!]
    Dress up people in old clothes and photograph them is stiff poses so the sepia-tone photograph can be passed of as nineteenth century prints.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'll start another rant in this high quality thread.

Just read over in the TMax 25 thread that someone thinks Pan-F+ is 'mushy'.

Another favorite word that makes me laugh out loud.
    Means he doesn't personally like them, hasn't figure out how to get the results he wants from them, they don't suit his personal tastes, or some combination of those. (Probably a combination of the first two.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Leica glow"

Bokeh

Gratuitous misuse of "DPI". "I don't understand why this photograph is blurry, it's set to 300dpi, not 72dpi..."

Analog

'tog

Giclee (Honestly, what is wrong with "archival pigment print"? They are pigmented inks, rather than dyes, anyhow).

Capture
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mushy and clinical both have real meanings.

'Mushy' is a lack of both micro and macro contrast, usually coupled with low acutance. It looks just like it sounds.
    'Clinical' is in the opposite direction, so much micro contrast in the presence of low macro contrast or a short tone curve that makes the photo uncomfortable to look at or lacking in tonal interest. "Clinical" because it has little to no emotional impact in spite of high technical merit. Some people use this look to support the overall image; as with any stylistic judgment in art, it's subjective.

I don't get the backlash against 'bokeh'. It has a specific meaning for which there was no single English word. Simple. Adamant rejection of it smacks of xenophobia, IMHO.

Y'all're forgetting that this is an art, practiced by artists. Expecting precise, unemotional language from photographers is going to be disappointing at best. :P (that said, I don't much care for capture either, unless the photo is the raw data for a photomanip or a collage or the such)
    Last edited by markaudacity; 02-13-2014 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're just having a bit of fun with language here.

I find 'mushy' to be particularly poor as a choice to describe poor detail definition in a photograph. I use mushy to describe peas that have been cooked and pureed, and something I eat with fish and chips.

Clinical is stupid because it's a very ambiguous word that in different people's minds mean different things. To communicate well is the art of making others understand what you mean, and when somebody says 'clinical' I have no f-ing clue what they're talking about. Sorry, but you're gonna have to do better than that.

Bokeh? If you focus so much attention to the areas that are out of focus, then in my view you use it as a crutch to try to improve photographs that otherwise have no substance and therefore suck. There are people who can support the content of their photographs by looking at the entire photograph, and that may or may not include the out of focus areas. But to make a whole concept surrounding what is not in focus is, to my taste buds, a bit foolish.

Them's my two cents, as a counter argument to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by markaudacity View Post
    Mushy and clinical both have real meanings.

'Mushy' is a lack of both micro and macro contrast, usually coupled with low acutance. It looks just like it sounds.
    'Clinical' is in the opposite direction, so much micro contrast in the presence of low macro contrast or a short tone curve that makes the photo uncomfortable to look at or lacking in tonal interest. "Clinical" because it has little to no emotional impact in spite of high technical merit. Some people use this look to support the overall image; as with any stylistic judgment in art, it's subjective.

I don't get the backlash against 'bokeh'. It has a specific meaning for which there was no single English word. Simple. Adamant rejection of it smacks of xenophobia, IMHO.

Y'all're forgetting that this is an art, practiced by artists. Expecting precise, unemotional language from photographers is going to be disappointing at best. :P (that said, I don't much care for capture either, unless the photo is the raw data for a photomanip or a collage or the such)
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin