Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,361   Online: 746

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    "workflow". Never heard that word till computers came along, but now you hear it incessantly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I hate the words agile, sprint, scrum, burndown chart, daily standup, and product owner. But none are photography terms.

Soup it takes my top photo term groan.
    I quite agree on the non-photo terms, particularly 'agile'.

On photo terms, referring to one's camera collection as an 'arsenal', I don't really like.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I hate the words agile, sprint, scrum, burndown chart, daily standup, and product owner. But none are photography terms.

Soup it takes my top photo term groan.
    The title of the thread was clear, and I made my post pertaining to the subject. But now that you've broached the subject, I'd say the one expression blithering about peoples' lips today that galls me to no end, is calling people a Hyphenated-American.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't like the word Analog as in APUG. I rather call it film photography rather than analog.
    I don't like the words shoot and shot.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    The title of the thread was clear, and I made my post pertaining to the subject. But now that you've broached the subject, I'd say the one expression blithering about peoples' lips today that galls me to no end, is calling people a Hyphenated-American.
    What is a Hyphenated-American?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    "workflow". Never heard that word till computers came along, but now you hear it incessantly.
    Unfortunately photography has become a handmaiden of the computer industry Tom since the marketing men re- invented the wheel with digital photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Except for the fact that these words have real meaning in terms of the craft of photography.

What would you suggest we say when we use some elements to balance or frame others? Would other terms be any more effective/less annoying?

It gets to a point where you have to get over petty annoyances and just take pictures.

Cheers,
    Tom
    I guess I would prefer people responded to photographs with more instinctual reactions. Suppose someone tells me one of my photographs has nice movement or balance or something about how some part of it leads the eye to another part etc. Leaves me pretty cold. Even if it is meant as a compliment I'd rather they just said the picture sucks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I don't like the word Analog as in APUG. I rather call it film photography rather than analog.
    I must admit to being amused by that usage of 'analog' since even digital capture is 'analog' at the sensor light capture level; it must be fed through an ADC (analog to digital converter) to become 'digital'.

Film Photography Users Group is probably more accurate, but I'm not sure the term FPUG goes over well.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then the tintypers would revolt...

Is it typist?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a "tog".

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin