Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,583   Online: 1003

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1216171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange
    Giclee (Honestly, what is wrong with "archival pigment print"? They are pigmented inks, rather than dyes, anyhow).
    I had a similar first reaction to the term giclee many years ago, but then I learned the origin was from French for 'sprayed' or 'jetted'...it really differentiates INKJET (not the dye vs. pigment) prints from those that are exposed optically onto conventional light sensitive paper and processed (the modern digital equivalent to enlarger/commercial print maker prints from negs).

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    ...it really differentiates INKJET (not the dye vs. pigment) prints from those that are exposed optically onto conventional light sensitive paper and processed (the modern digital equivalent to enlarger/commercial print maker prints from negs).
    Typically we use optical exposure for an exposure where a film/plate image is exposed simultaneously on paper and not a digital file pixelwise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I thought it actually became illegal in England some time ago to sell it in real newspaper?
    The local fish and chip shop changed about '55 - think it was the news print ink rather than hygiene. They just changed to unprinted paper then. Now you seem to get it in packs still wrapped in paper for insulation. And then in a carrier bag plastic to destroy the environment.

Nostalgia sells.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    And then in a carrier bag plastic to destroy the environment.
    Or an expanded polystyrene box.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The local fish and chip shop changed about '55 - think it was the news print ink rather than hygiene. They just changed to unprinted paper then. Now you seem to get it in packs still wrapped in paper for insulation. And then in a carrier bag plastic to destroy the environment.

Nostalgia sells.
    This is the latest way to eat your chips on the way home from the pub before you have a "Technicolour yawn"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newsprint-Ch...ewsprint+paper
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I shoot a gun and photograph with a camera.
    Words mean what we want them to mean, what we think they mean, or what we would like them to mean. Language is fluid, and nobody (least of all me) owns any sort of controlling interest. We all have to do the best we can with what's available, and live with it - though nobody says we have to like it. Who here would object to the validity of the strange and (apparently) meaningless expression "shoot the breeze"?

"A shoot" was originally a collective activity (like "a picnic") wherein a group of shooters, beaters, loaders and dog-handlers went out for a day of shooting at game - probably in vehicles called "shooting brakes". [Incidentally, I first typed "hooting at game" - maybe I should have left it uncorrected. Hooting bakes, anyone?]

The term then transferred (via "shot" coming to mean "photograph taken") to the collective activity wherein a photographer (with models, stylists, assistants and so on) gathered for a session of photography, whether in a studio (with lights: a Hot) or on location (with flashing: a Hoot). Amateur photographers who don't have the stylists, assistants and so on can quite legitimately engage in or embark on "a shoot" all by themselves. It's still a hoot.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now I have to look up "hoot"...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "It's just a tool"...

Based on Dr. Demento's long-standing policy (which governs a large proportion of my life's decisions) to never criticise without suggesting something to take its place...

I would like everyone to say this instead...

Say "It's just provisions"...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbank View Post
    Words mean what we want them to mean, what we think they mean, or what we would like them to mean. Language is fluid, and nobody (least of all me) owns any sort of controlling interest. We all have to do the best we can with what's available, and live with it - though nobody says we have to like it. Who here would object to the validity of the strange and (apparently) meaningless expression "shoot the breeze"?

"A shoot" was originally a collective activity (like "a picnic") wherein a group of shooters, beaters, loaders and dog-handlers went out for a day of shooting at game - probably in vehicles called "shooting brakes". [Incidentally, I first typed "hooting at game" - maybe I should have left it uncorrected. Hooting bakes, anyone?]

The term then transferred (via "shot" coming to mean "photograph taken") to the collective activity wherein a photographer (with models, stylists, assistants and so on) gathered for a session of photography, whether in a studio (with lights: a Hot) or on location (with flashing: a Hoot). Amateur photographers who don't have the stylists, assistants and so on can quite legitimately engage in or embark on "a shoot" all by themselves. It's still a hoot.
    The meaning of any communication is based on the perception of the recipient, period.
    So it pays to use words which are concise, accurate, and unambiguous.
    In the present moronic, ignorant, and politically overdriven climate surrounding firearms in this country, as a recreational shooter of targets, I am very careful to distinguish between my activities involving firearms and my activities involving photographic apparatus.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mankind has always separated themselves in tribes and sub-tribes and photographers are no different. One type of photog will use terms as a shorthand "in" way of speaking. Language has two functions -- to communicate, and to keep other from understanding what you are saying. Hence the development of High, Middle and Low English and German.
    When big time photojournalists of a certain era (the 1960s and 1970s) wanted to compliment another photojournalist they would say "he's a shooter." Maybe they still do. And it is a free country so I don't think it's something to get all riled up about.
    Yes, the terms you use are annoying but the ones I use are cool.
    "Bokeh" really does mean "off in the head" in Japanese. But like everything else, the term has several meanings. When an Eskimo (Inuit) uses the term "cool" he means something different than when a Harlem musician says "cool." It's okay.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin