Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,008   Online: 859

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1317181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Language has two functions -- to communicate, and to keep other from understanding what you are saying. Hence the development of High, Middle and Low English and German.
    High-, Middle- and Low-German are regional varieties of german language.

"High-German" is also differently, and more frequently, used as designation for a nationwide generally accepted form of German.

In neither case I see an attempt to veil anything. Though there are german languages made up with just that in mind.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-28-2014 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mankind has always separated themselves in tribes and sub-tribes and photographers are no different. One type of photog will use terms as a shorthand "in" way of speaking. Language has two functions -- to communicate, and to keep other from understanding what you are saying. Hence the development of High, Middle and Low English and German.
    When big time photojournalists of a certain era (the 1960s and 1970s) wanted to compliment another photojournalist they would say "he's a shooter." Maybe they still do. And it is a free country so I don't think it's something to get all riled up about.
    Yes, the terms you use are annoying but the ones I use are cool.
    "Bokeh" really does mean "off in the head" in Japanese. But like everything else, the term has several meanings. When an Eskimo (Inuit) uses the term "cool" he means something different than when a Harlem musician says "cool." It's okay.

"Concise, accurate, and unambiguous" would pretty effectively exclude jargon of any sort. As for that 'b' word I have nothing to say, I like my out of focus areas to be out of focus. If the photograph is so weak that the only feature worth consideration is the lense's rendition of mush...
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-28-2014 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Language has two functions -- to communicate, and to keep other from understanding what you are saying. Hence the development of High, Middle and Low English and German.
    To make English unintelligible to the English, add a Scottish, Geordie or American accent!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    To make English unintelligible to the English, add a Scottish, Geordie or American accent!

Steve.
    Sometimes I wonder what other people here sound like, what their accents are, and how a face-to-face conversation with them would be. I grew up in Sweden, and when we learned English in school we early on had to choose whether we were going to use British English or American English. I chose British English since it seemed more applicable, and I spoke that way well into my 20s. At age 26 I began speaking to more Americans, and just drifted into an American accent, which is easier to do while being a Minnesota resident.
    If I could do it all over again, I'd like to have a Scottish accent. A mild one... It's music to my ears.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some friends of my youngest son who are from Newcastle who have very strong regional accents, who I admit have some trouble understanding most of the time are a rock band who recently were touring the U.S. and they had great difficulty making themselves understood, and had to write things down to do so, they said they felt like Martians
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    Actually in the last 15 years or so Scottish and Irish have become the most desirable accents for the English TV, film, media, ads etc. I think this all started with Ewan McGregor and trainspotting.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I dislike the word "Bromoil."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    I dislike the word "Bromoil."
    What do you suggest as an alternative word to describe this technique?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What do you suggest as an alternative word to describe this technique?

After much deep though...sismoil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what other people here sound like
    All of us here in England sound jut like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    we early on had to choose whether we were going to use British English or American English. I chose British English
    A good choice!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin