Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,692   Online: 1179

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what other people here sound like, what their accents are, and how a face-to-face conversation with them would be.
    I guess a native speaker does not enjoy listening to my accent.
    (Meanwhile there are a lot of Germans speaking without a german accent. I'd say: a case of self-denial.)

A german CEO once was told by a native speaker. "You speak the best broken English I've heard"...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Some accents just grow into place; take Arnold Schwarzenegger who had an accent which was initially dismissed as wrong in the film industry and is now one of the greatest.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I grew up in the mountains of Tennessee. I shore am glad I don't have no ahhk-sent.

(I sound like I just dragged in off the south 40, in spite of more years of college than probably made any sense and an advanced degree.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    All of us here in England sound jut like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
    LOL
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    To make English unintelligible to the English, add a Scottish, Geordie or American accent!

Steve.
    I have a friend who describes his accent as "Geordie" too. I finally looked it up to see just what you meant.

Newcastle. Well yeah, my friend is originally from there, lived in London when I first met him, married an American friend of my wife's, and they now live in Miami. So I went to YouTube and I hate to tell you this but to most American ears it sounds...just like pretty much every other British accent (with the exception of the strong Cockney accent.)

I imagine to many Brits my Tennessee hillbilly twang sounds much like a Georgia southern accent (it's different, trust me) and probably not nearly as different from a midwestern US as it does to us. Another friend is married to a Russian woman and while visiting Moscow a British couple walked by talking and she said, "oh, Americans." "No," he said, puzzled, "British." "How can you tell?" she asked in all seriousness. He actually can mimic a pretty fair British accent and tried it out on her - she still could barely tell the difference if she paid close attention.

Subtle differences that are obvious to native speakers attuned to them can be lost in the overall onslaught of major differences when heard by outsiders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what other people here sound like, what their accents are, and how a face-to-face conversation with them would be. I grew up in Sweden, and when we learned English in school we early on had to choose whether we were going to use British English or American English. I chose British English since it seemed more applicable, and I spoke that way well into my 20s. At age 26 I began speaking to more Americans, and just drifted into an American accent, which is easier to do while being a Minnesota resident.
    If I could do it all over again, I'd like to have a Scottish accent. A mild one... It's music to my ears.
    We could record some sound files and throw in Dropbox or somewhere for download, to say hello to each other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shutter speed. I dislike shutter speed. In most cases exposure time is meant, so simple, but they must say shutter speed.

Carry on, everybody, I get over it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I hate to tell you this but to most American ears it sounds...just like pretty much every other British accent (with the exception of the strong Cockney accent.)
    Actually, I think there might me more variance amongst British accents than there are with American accents.

Hope this works. I searched for it at work where I don't have the sound connected!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I grew up in the mountains of Tennessee. I shore am glad I don't have no ahhk-sent.

(I sound like I just dragged in off the south 40, in spite of more years of college than probably made any sense and an advanced degree.)
    And you now live in Et-lenna Jawja.
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire (fahr), I'd say.
    We of course have no regional accent up here. Unless of course you need some filum for your camera, or wish to buy some poine paneling for your den.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently I started to hate 'Old School'. I am 34 years old but I like printing in the darkroom.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin