Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,132   Online: 875

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'd like to have a Scottish accent. A mild one... It's music to my ears.
    Actually I do... it is not quite as 'strong' as it used to be before 'escaping across the Atlantic on cattle boat in '63, but I can still, "pit it oan" when the needs or the occasion arrives.

A few days ago, I had been working 'under the dark-cloth' in a down-town park and was now patiently waiting for some 'intruders' who seemed to be well aware of what I was doing... but seemed somewhat hesitant to move out of the field of view such that I might make my exposure.

I'm not sure if I was quietly 'swearing'.... but I was getting somewhat frustrated. I then heard a 'loudly whispered phrase (from behind me) that I had not heard in many, many years

"Gie it laldy son.... gie it some welly"

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes I wonder what other people here sound like, what their accents are, and how a face-to-face conversation with them would be. I grew up in Sweden, and when we learned English in school we early on had to choose whether we were going to use British English or American English. I chose British English since it seemed more applicable, and I spoke that way well into my 20s. At age 26 I began speaking to more Americans, and just drifted into an American accent, which is easier to do while being a Minnesota resident.
    If I could do it all over again, I'd like to have a Scottish accent. A mild one... It's music to my ears.
    Interesting. The Colorado Avalanche captain, Gabe Landeskog must have have gone to a school that taught Canadian.

As a native speaker of one of da Nordern Minnasoatah dialex, I like to inform anybody who talks about the movie "Fargo" just how fake the accents were.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Interesting. The Colorado Avalanche captain, Gabe Landeskog must have have gone to a school that taught Canadian.

As a native speaker of one of da Nordern Minnasoatah dialex, I like to inform anybody who talks about the movie "Fargo" just how fake the accents were.
    Ooh ya, shoor you betcha. I have a sneaking suspicion Joel and Ethan Coen were a bit provocative as always. 'Fargo' is such a funny film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    "Gie it laldy son.... gie it some welly"
    And what does that mean to the rest of us?

'Gie it some welly' I think means to 'strike it hard' or something like that, but the first part I am having trouble with...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ooh ya, shoor you betcha. I have a sneaking suspicion Joel and Ethan Coen were a bit provocative as always. 'Fargo' is such a funny film.
    Ohh, ya. When dey played it up nort, nobody laughed. Dey coodn figgur aut what was so dam funny. I seen lotsa guyss sweepn-air driveway widda broom.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Ohh, ya. When dey played it up nort, nobody laughed. Dey coodn figgur aut what was so dam funny. I seen lotsa guyss sweepn-air driveway widda broom.
    Dats sooper funny, hey. Been up to de iren range a feow times, and de folks liven dere arr too smart ta pick on. That's why dey put de guy throo de meat grinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, you got it down.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    happysnappies

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

och weesht and git oan wae it

And what does that mean to the rest of us?

'Gie it some welly' I think means to 'strike it hard' or something like that, but the first part I am having trouble with...
    Gie it some laldy- to really go for it
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Actually, I think there might me more variance amongst British accents than there are with American accents.

Hope this works. I searched for it at work where I don't have the sound connected!

Steve.
    It works, and it's funny.

I know there's variation, I just mean that it seems to me the "farther" (phonetically) from a given accent the person hearing it is themselves, the less they tend to notice relatively small differences. I can certainly hear the difference between many British accents if they're put side by side like that. But if I just hear one in isolation I just think "British" and don't identify it further. It takes a minute of listening to distinguish an Australian from a Brit for example - it's clear enough, but I have to listen for just a bit. It probably takes you about half a word.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin