Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,350   Online: 1145

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I guess I would prefer people responded to photographs with more instinctual reactions. Suppose someone tells me one of my photographs has nice movement or balance or something about how some part of it leads the eye to another part etc. Leaves me pretty cold. Even if it is meant as a compliment I'd rather they just said the picture sucks.
    The Principles and Elements of Art (as well as design) are a long-formalized list describing the process and product of artwork and the making of art. It is an, if not the appropriate means to discuss artwork that permits people to engage in the work beyond saying "I like it" or "I don't like it". Of course there will always be some that eschew anything academic for a variety of reasons. My point is that such a vocabulary is neither meaningless nor inappropriate.

For the word I dislike as it is most commonly used in relation to photography, see my signature.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    "Which Instagram filter did you use?"
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Somone who is described as the 'Author' of a photograph. Authors write not take pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll counter that one as well. Someone who is described as a 'worker' when it comes to photography. This term seems to be pretty much only used in Photography clubs (from my experience).

Shooter
    35mm
    Bokeh and capture, I spent the first forty years of photography not knowing either. My special hell is reserved for 'workflow'. I assume this means shooting everything in digital RAW and spending hours mulling over each frame to decide whether it should be monochrome, colour, HDR, or something else from software fantasy world, but have never been interested enough to ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Optics for a lens
    Analogue / analog for film photography
    Souping in soup (or sewage, as it is used in some languages)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For me the term "wet" darkroom is infuriating. Digital photographers (digitographers) don't work in any place which remotely resembles a darkroom. It may be a studio, an office, or ,God forbid, a cubicle, but they definitely do not work in a darkroom. So why a "wet" darkroom?!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One can divide a darkroom into two sections: one for loading cassettes etc. and exposing prints etc. and another for doing the processing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    For me the term "wet" darkroom is infuriating. Digital photographers (digitographers) don't work in any place which remotely resembles a darkroom. It may be a studio, an office, or ,God forbid, a cubicle, but they definitely do not work in a darkroom. So why a "wet" darkroom?!

I agree.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hate to admit it, but I've probably used a lot of these betes noires at some point or other. There is one, and only one term that annoys the f**k out of me, and that's fine-art photography.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin