Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1102

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    "Shooting" which meanwhile is used here too.

(Or even "shoot" as noun, which seemingly does not even exist in English.)
    It does. Used by some professionals. For example: "I have a big shoot coming up this week."
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So much misuse of the term 'bokeh' by today's photographers, in the (wrong) context of 'background blur'...."I want less bokeh"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and so is fine- art photographer.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I hate the word digital.
    +1

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Except for the fact that these words have real meaning in terms of the craft of photography.

What would you suggest we say when we use some elements to balance or frame others? Would other terms be any more effective/less annoying?

It gets to a point where you have to get over petty annoyances and just take pictures.

Cheers,
    Tom
    I'm most annoyed by people who get tooeasily annoyedbutyes, there are a few that get me too
    (bad and careless English) such as 'end result'; which cannot be different from just 'result') or
    (technically wrong phrases)such as 'visible light'; what a nonsense;all light is visible;otherwise, it is not lightand along similar lines'IR orUVlight;as no such things exist; it's IRor UV radiation;nevertheless,life is too short to get worked up about it.
    enjoy photogrsaphy
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 02-09-2014 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    ... such as 'end result'; which cannot be different from just 'result' ...
    When I hear "end result" I wonder where the "beginning result" can be found.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    The Principles and Elements of Art (as well as design) are a long-formalized list describing the process and product of artwork and the making of art. It is an, if not the appropriate means to discuss artwork that permits people to engage in the work beyond saying "I like it" or "I don't like it". Of course there will always be some that eschew anything academic for a variety of reasons. My point is that such a vocabulary is neither meaningless nor inappropriate.

For the word I dislike as it is most commonly used in relation to photography, see my signature.
    I have studied the principles and elements of design and artforms. Most of the time when I see words like "movement" they aren't used properly anyway, in which case it becomes B.S. An academic critique or dissection is one thing, an honest, emotional and/or visceral response is another.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could call a negative an "intermediate result" or a work print a "preliminary result." I'm not bothered by "end result."

"Fine art" is okay by me, if it's used to distinguish something from "applied art," but it is annoying when it's misused, as it is in most cases.

"Bokeh" as Mike Johnston did much to popularize it in the contemporary photographic lexicon is a meaningful and useful concept, but not entirely new, as there was language in English for describing the aesthetic qualities of the out-of-focus part of an image in the age of soft-focus lenses. The idea of "more bokeh" or "less bokeh" makes no sense.

I've never been inclined to say "soup," but it doesn't bother me.

"Trannies" for slides--let's not go there.

I can't abide "workflow," "giclée" or "pigment print" for inkjet, "post production" for still photography, or "digital darkroom."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I have studied the principles and elements of design and artforms. Most of the time when I see words like "movement" they aren't used properly anyway, in which case it becomes B.S. An academic critique or dissection is one thing, an honest, emotional and/or visceral response is another.
    Do I understand you to say that using such words to discuss a photograph does not bother you, rather their inaccurate or inappropriate use does? If that's the case, that's different from what you originally wrote, and I understand that about not only these terms but all language in general. Thank you for clarifying.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Yes, one that I find very annoying "Shot" as in nice shot!
    I fully agree!
    I shoot a gun and photograph with a camera.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin