Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 675

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When did the use of "to shoot" came up?
    I assume this happened with the advert of small, eye-level cameras and long lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    For me the term "wet" darkroom is infuriating. Digital photographers (digitographers) don't work in any place which remotely resembles a darkroom. It may be a studio, an office, or ,God forbid, a cubicle, but they definitely do not work in a darkroom. So why a "wet" darkroom?!
    I think that's a darkroom that also has a "wet" bar. Unfortunately, as the printing session wears on, the prints get worse.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    All that ghastly 'artspeak' such as occluded, paradigm,interstitial, armature etc....It's not that the words are necessarily BS on their own, but some people seem to have a knack of putting them together to make them complete gibberish.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    For me the term "wet" darkroom is infuriating.

The dry darkroom is the smallest bedroom in my place and that is were the enlarger and drum print dryer are used. The wet darkroom is where the paper is developed and washed. The JOBO processor is used in the kitchen.

Exactly what is infuriated about that?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    All that ghastly 'artspeak' such as occluded, paradigm,interstitial, armature etc....It's not that the words are necessarily BS on their own, but some people seem to have a knack of putting them together to make them complete gibberish.
    Just for you - artspeak phrase generator. This came in handy during my years doing an MFA:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My least favorite - giclée and digital darkroom. It bugs me when any word or phrase gets misused and bokeh is probably the one I've heard misused the most often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The worst bit of artspeak I ever encountered was a statement that the photo was "uniquilized" by scratching the print. I about gagged.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Seven aberrations of Seidel."

Doh! A much-loved and hyped term among "the knowing" second only to bokeh.
    What does it matter, and why? Can we just call variations of lens characteristics "aberrations" rather than have to grasp for a lexicon?
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    "Seven aberrations of Seidel."

Doh! A much-loved and hyped term among "the knowing" second only to bokeh.
    What does it matter, and why? Can we just call variations of lens characteristics "aberrations" rather than have to grasp for a lexicon?
    You are much too intelligent to be listening to those dunderheads anyway.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It seems to me that our objections can be grouped thusly:
    *Our terms that have been borrowed by the dark side without apparently understanding what borrowed terms mean.
    *Their terms that have been brought into our lexicon by dark siders who come into the film world to see what all the fuss is about here.
    When one of their words is used in our world, our world loses some of its purity. When one of our words is used on the dark side, we scoff.
    Should we be tolerant? Uh... no.
    The dark-siders who come into our world should be respectfully reeducated. At the same time, we should simply ignore what goes on in their world... It is their world after all. If they want to call a desk, PC, and ink jet printer a "dark room" then let them. We know what a darkroom is.
    I wonder, am I being respectful when I call the digital world the "dark side" :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin