Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,607   Online: 759

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I fully agree!
    I shoot a gun and photograph with a camera.
    "...photograph with a camera"? And I thought people these days are getting all uptight about using nouns as verbs...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    i'm a cool, relaxed beer-guzzlin fella... but one that sends me ballistic every single time is...

"len"

[unprintable]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    (technically wrong phrases)such as 'visible light'; what a nonsense;all light is visible;otherwise, it is not lightand along similar lines'IR orUVlight;as no such things exist
    Since there are creatures such as insects and hawks with functional vision into the UV spectral range, it seems reasonable to refer to UV as light, at least to the wavelengths that fall within their visual capabilities, and within the context of the visual systems of those ceatures. It is not something that bothers me enormously, but you are probably technically correct about the rest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One cannot but balk at any of the terminology associated with mainstream model photography, especially the digital type. It is so far removed from what I consider to be proper photography, that it seems like an alien recreation form usurping our terminology. Half-worlds such as 'tog rile me, and I had to enquire what exactly TFCD meant (and still took a while to get my head around why either the 'tog or wannabe model would bother). I suppose it is new tools, same old vanity.

"Bokeh", "sharp", "contrast", "micro-contrast" and a few other similar terms in the hands of the untalented can ruin an otherwise good conversation. "Soup" is another one I don't take to. Even "brew" seems more appropriate by comparison. Grain in reference to digital files, is another pet peeve. And to top it, someone must tell me a digital camera produces "film-like" images. I then instantly doubt the sincerity of the statement.

The term "Fine-art photography" has a very special place right at the top of my list of unscratchable itches. I cannot imagine the photography world any poorer should it disappear.

"Shoot" and "shot" fall into the same category of "snap", "click" etc. As long as those terms are used relating to family photographs or the weekend's party pics, or even to street or candid photographs where the theme is the hunt or the quickness of the taking moment, it does not particularly seem out of place. It would seem strange to use such a term for night photography or anything made with a pinhole, 4x5 or larger.
    Last edited by dorff; 02-10-2014 at 03:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    And it bothers me when people use "" alot.
    Yes. That and allot seem to have become acceptable versions of a lot.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    life's too short to go around hating anything, let alone words.
    trite, I know, but really, the only consequence of other people using words in a way one doesn't like them to be used is one's own irritation.
    get (as they say) over it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Interesting responses.
    Last edited by cliveh; 02-10-2014 at 07:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    the only consequence of other people using words in a way one doesn't like them to be used is one's own irritation.
    yes, but often, they are not even words. Like alot.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    "street tog"

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes I can be a bit stern on terminology. I guess then it is time again to listen to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vl1m5FYlAo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin