Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,739   Online: 803

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Posting in the Gallery

Hi Folks,

Is there a tradition or reason that posts to the gallery here at APUG are not also posted other places? Some expectation that the things we post here are unique and only to be found here?

I have not posted much, but the few things I've posted for MSA, I only shared here. Then recently I wanted to also put one on my page over at the photo-sharing site Ipernity, so my friends there could see it too. I did it but it made me wonder about this... it also feels slightly like "attention whoring" to post in multiple places.... although I suppose we wouldn't post anything anywhere if we didn't want anyone to look!

Then tonight, I posted one at Ipernity, and I thought to myself, hmmm maybe this is one that I'd feel okay putting in the gallery over at APUG....

What do you do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know some are nervous about systems like Instagram and Facebook (copyright issues). I'm not up on their current "terms of service" but some of these sites claim full ownership of images posted, stating they can use them as they see fit, on or off their site. In other words your images could end up on a billboard somewhere, online ads you have no knowledge of, etc. I try to avoid that here by stating gallery posts only give us the right to show them on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of us would probably only dare to show our best work here, while we would be happy to post almost anything to our other hosting sites. I appreciate the fact that one doesn't have to dig for the good stuff in amongst piles of mediocrity. Since I took a fair spanking on the watermarks in my photographs, it has put me off posting here for a while. If I made something of which I am particularly proud, though, I might still consider posting again. And I am grateful to the others who do post, as some of the work is inspiring to say the least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not attention whoring to post things in multiple places on the Internet. Each place has a different (though sometimes slightly overlapping) audience. Rather than audience, "circle of people inspiring each other" would be more like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The comment about watermarking is interesting. I'm sure the few photos I posted had watermarks, but that is based upon me only scaling down the same images I posted at another place where watermarks are used by all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Watermarking as applied here would to me be a not-true-to-analog representation of your work here. Some purists people scan prints and if the watermark isn't on the print, it shouldn't be on here. Other less idealist people like me often scan negatives to approximate what we'd print when we get around to it. Scanning a negative and adding a digital watermark would be considered even less ideal.

I'm not into watermarks personally, I don't shoot anything I'm worried about other people repurposing. Some photographers obnoxiously watermark their stuff like they aren't even comfortable putting images on the web without adulterating them first.

If you were shooting bikini women for the Internet and didn't want scum stealing your images and getting rich of web traffic, yeh watermarks would be good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    Most of us would probably only dare to show our best work here, while we would be happy to post almost anything to our other hosting sites....
    Definitely! One thing that drew me to MSA is the assigned topic in a limited time, so it is acceptable to post them even if they are flawed or fail completely. Part of the fun is seeing what people tried to do, even if they did not succeed. I'm still a beginner at printing, and so far have not wanted to share in the standard gallery here.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    It's not attention whoring to post things in multiple places on the Internet. Each place has a different (though sometimes slightly overlapping) audience. Rather than audience, "circle of people inspiring each other" would be more like it.
    Thanks, that is definitely the right way to think of it. I was wondering if there was a sort of "unspoken rule".
    I did go and pick a few random photos from people who use flickr or have their own website, and didn't find any "multiple posts"... but that is likely because of what Sean mentioned.

I will not worry about it. If/when I make a print that I think is good enough to share in the standard gallery, it will go there and on my page at Ipernity. Nobody has jumped in here and said "OH NO you can't do that"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Watermarking as applied here would to me be a not-true-to-analog representation of your work here. Some purists people scan prints and if the watermark isn't on the print, it shouldn't be on here.
    Thank you for this bit of insight. I was never into watermarks until I had several images copied from a site and the lady made greeting cards out of them. Not so bad until she began to then sell them on her own website.
    I've had other images taken and used as a bit of a POV on a location with full disclosure of me being the photographer, so no issue on that type of usage at all. Heck that type of usage is free advertising IMO.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin