Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,571   Online: 1168
      
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 75
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    768
    Too many Jesuses around here, and deeply invested people, probably due to them being ex-homeless, which is sad. But a reality.
    Poisson, do you spend your time giving money and helping the homeless? Do you go and give your credit card to a homeless "here you go, man. Have fun"? Really, really? And why are you so against people taking their picture? What's the big deal, except the fact that you were once a homeless and heavily biased?

    I don't want to sound like a a-hole but really, why should i go out of my way caring for them? I give them a buck when i feel like it and, although I never take their picture, I won't feel bad if I had a sudden urge to shoot 10,000 shots tomorrow morning. Who cares.

  2. #52
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,471
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Too many Jesuses around here, and deeply invested people, probably due to them being ex-homeless, which is sad. But a reality.
    Poisson, do you spend your time giving money and helping the homeless? Do you go and give your credit card to a homeless "here you go, man. Have fun"? Really, really? And why are you so against people taking their picture? What's the big deal, except the fact that you were once a homeless and heavily biased?

    I don't want to sound like a a-hole but really, why should i go out of my way caring for them? I give them a buck when i feel like it and, although I never take their picture, I won't feel bad if I had a sudden urge to shoot 10,000 shots tomorrow morning. Who cares.
    Regardless of whether or not someone is or was homeless, why would that somehow disqualify them from having an opinion of value on this subject? If anything, it is THEIR voice I would want to listen to more than anyone else's as to the ethics of this.

    As to the question "who cares?" - how would you feel if you were photographed for the amusement of others while you were suffering - physically and/or mentally ill, underfed, dirty because you didn't have somewhere to go to wash, wearing ragged clothes because you couldn't afford newer. If I were sick, even just garden-variety ill with the flu in the safety and comfort of my own home, I wouldn't want strangers coming around poking camera lenses in my windows to take pictures of me in my bathrobe with a snotty nose, bleary eyes and three days' stubble.

    I'm not saying it is impossible to photograph the homeless or that it should NEVER be done under any circumstance. But it is damn hard, and should not be undertaken casually. Either that, or be prepared to own the 'asshole' label, as it will be well deserved.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    768
    And you, flyingcamera, do you go out of your way to save them from the street?

  4. #54
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,653
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Too many Jesuses around here, and deeply invested people, probably due to them being ex-homeless, which is sad. But a reality.
    Poisson, do you spend your time giving money and helping the homeless? Do you go and give your credit card to a homeless "here you go, man. Have fun"? Really, really? And why are you so against people taking their picture? What's the big deal, except the fact that you were once a homeless and heavily biased?

    I don't want to sound like a a-hole but really, why should i go out of my way caring for them? I give them a buck when i feel like it and, although I never take their picture, I won't feel bad if I had a sudden urge to shoot 10,000 shots tomorrow morning. Who cares.

    Why would I care what you say with a bellicose attitude of "so what!" like that?
    And who are you to judge what people here may be doing for the homeless, other than speculate? Do you know, at all? No you don't.
    For the record, this family has a long history of providing help in a voluntary capacity to organisations that need it. Last Christmas my sister prepared 42 Christmas lunches in advance for the Salvation Army in our town, specifically for the homeless and low-income people. For a small seaside town, that is a large number of homeless people, but the Big Smoke, Melbourne, has more than 500. The Major only knows us by name and where we live; he does not know I am a photographer, or my sister a craftsperson, because neither is relevant. I have also volunteered with the Salvation Army Outreach Service providing sessions of companionship for both homeless and older people here in my home town, but as far back as 2000 when I was living in a more isolated country location.

    The suburb where I reside is comprised of a mix of old money and families of high net worth in money terms. But this family is not so much wealthy as enriched by a conscience to provide help to the less fortunate and capable of society. Unlike some, we don't keep our noses high in the air as we pass by.

    Now you know how I care. Now step up to the plate and tell us all what you have done!
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 02-26-2014 at 03:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.


  5. #55

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    768
    And you, flyingcamera, do you go out of your way to save them from the street? What are you doing that's so great to help them out?
    Not taking their picture is not hellong them out, either.

    To me, shooting them or not shooting them all comes down to the same. One is not better then the other in reality. There's absolutely no good deed in not pointing a camera at them.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Why would I care what you say with a bellicose attitude of "so what!" like that?
    And who are you to judge what people here may be doing for the homeless, other than speculate? Do you know, at all? No you don't.
    Because, obviously, your arguments weren't strong enough to persuade me that NOT taking their picture would be a good deed.
    Maybe you should try harder.

  7. #57
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,653
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Because, obviously, your arguments weren't strong enough to persuade me that NOT taking their picture would be a good deed.
    Maybe you should try harder.

    Maybe you should just get a bit of maturity, hey?


  8. #58

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    To me, it's like taking a picture of a burning building with occupants, and not helping instead.
    Id call the fire brigade and then take photos, helping invites problems and I've trained as a fire person.

    Normally I give homeless people money.

  9. #59
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,493
    Images
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Because, obviously, your arguments weren't strong enough to persuade me that NOT taking their picture would be a good deed.
    Maybe you should try harder.
    I reiterate what I said earlier. I think the photographs you posted are excellent and they do cause me to think about how I can in some way improve what I do for my less fortunate fellow humans. I'm not wealthy, and with work and school I usually pull 80-90 hour weeks. But I do volunteer to help feed those who starve. It's not something I bring up often, but I do it now for the sake of this discussion.

    You have done no harm in taking their picture, in my opinion, but you DO gain something from taking that picture. What are you going to do to give something back? That's the big question. You don't have to save the world, but at least spare a thought and see if there's something you can do? I mean, what are you trying to accomplish with those photographs? Raise awareness? If so, I think you've already given back something. If it's just to make photographs I think karma might be slightly out of balance.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,865
    Images
    27
    i see nothing wrong with the photographs you have posted in this thread, but i do have trouble with
    using a camera to take portraits to mock people and be mean spirited.
    life is hard enough.


    we try to look out for the less fortunate too ...
    regularly give food to the food bank ( local ) and give gift cards to people who are hungry.
    and often give most of the proceeds of my photography print sales on imagekind.com
    to organizations steeped in disaster relief ..

    if asked by drs without borders oe the japan foundation or the salvation army
    or the foodbank or great hour of sharing to photograph their good works
    i would in a heartbeat as well ...
    ive wanted to do more, but logistically its an impossibility atm

    its too bad your comments are so hash nb, while i dont mind your photos you have posted
    im offended by the way you defend your taking the photographs
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-26-2014 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin