Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,713   Online: 901

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having met The Flying Camera a couple times I cannot envision him "Going Ballistic" over anything. You have that guy all wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you think about the various opinions given in this thread, it seems to me that this is one of the most on topic threads I've seen for this "Ethics and Philosophy" sub-forum.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yawn.
    flyincamera, I would've bothered to really point how you keep shifting the goalposts when countered and respond to each of them, but too bored to do that, and APUGs more charming than that. At least, I think so.

I might just go out n shoot instead. Maybe see if I get some interesting ones like NB above.
    Feel free to pontificate all you want.

Moving on.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't see how I've been "shifting the goalposts". I've been very consistent, I think, in arguing that it is compassionate, and more ethical, to not photograph the homeless, for the sake of a "picturesque" photo. Have I articulated my philosophy in a single, indisputable post that crushes all opposition? No. This is the internet, and this is a discussion, not an essay edited and crafted for publication in the New York Review of Books, so it's not perfect. By all means, go take pictures. Photograph the homeless, if you want. Just think about how you would feel if the situation were reversed when you do. I know I wouldn't want strangers coming into my home to photograph me watching TV in my underwear on the couch, so I don't do the same to them. YMMV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    At this point in time, I'd say unless you have something utterly new to communicate, don't. It seems like virtually everyone at some point or another in their photographic journey (or at least one person in every Photo 101 class) has done a photo essay on the homeless
    This is my view.

As a genre, this is completely over-done. The likelihood of coming up with something new or interesting is virtually nil.

Edit: Ok, now I'm caught up on the thread, so here's an addendum. The Cape Town photos changed my mind. But they show the level it takes to get there. Maybe its that there are so many who think of this genre as an "easy" way to create "art". The bar is very, very high.
    Last edited by omaha; 03-01-2014 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin