Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,582   Posts: 1,622,150   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Watermarking images

Is this of any value? If someone wants to nick my on-line images I would be flattered. Images on the web are usually at such low resolution that I see no point in protecting them in this way. What do others think? This could be in wrong forum, so moderators please move if this necessary.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that watermarks are like signing a painting, well worth doing. Just don't be that guy who signs his painting with foot high, white letters diagonally across the whole thing so no one can see what the picture actually is through all that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    people will steal ANYTHING.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Film photography? This term kills me. As if there's another kind!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Watermarking images

They can be used as a deterrent to theft in the manner that stock agencies use them, across the image. The thinking being that the photoshop time needed to remove it will cost more than it would to buy the rights. Another reason to do it is to make it very easy to find you and get proper permission. Putting contact info in the metadata is a good idea too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I solved the problem by no longer posting my photographs and remove any from the net with the exception of my avatar.
    The only way to prevent it, bottom line. Watermarking and metadata will only slow some of it. Then one can use the programs that will help track the stolen image if it is re-posted, but no guarantees there. The folks that take an image for a documentary point of view and give full credit to the owner is additional advertising. However, the folks that take the image and start making and selling note cards with the images is another thing.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with Cliveh. Sharing photographs with fellow photographers is worth any damage a few thieving scoundrels can do to us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My negative carrier edge is my watermark on certain images. No two filed out negative carriers are alike. In fact one could argue that no two cameras project the same image frame.
    (389) Such markings, however, will remain on the negative
    and any uncropped prints. Because these markings on inexpensive
    cameras tend to be distributed in a random pattern unique to each
    camera, they serve as identifiers for determining whether a
    particular negative or uncropped photograph was originally
    exposed in any particular camera.
    Volume VI of the HOUSE SELECT COMMITTEE
    ON ASSASSINATIONS:
    Last edited by ic-racer; 03-23-2014 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll worry about it when I manage to take some photos worth stealing!

Actually, I've had one or two cases of "unauthorized reuse", but never with any sign of ill intent. I was always able to contact the poster and say "hey now, credit your photos please", and they did. But I have the luxury of not trying to make money from photography---if I needed to sell images, I don't think there really is a way to post them in a useful way while still preventing theft.

But for fine art photographers, it seems like the person who might buy your expensive print is unlikely to be satisfied with a stolen low-resolution copy, so your actual sales aren't directly threatened. It seems like this is mainly a concern for stock-type uses, right?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to now I don't You can do an image search to see where your images end up. I'm with you OP. They can use my pix for non commercail use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Watermarks are anti-aesthetic and distracting.

Also, they serve no purpose at all.
    The real life equivalent would be someone displaying his work and screaming "don't steal this, it's mine" or "look what I made! See this? I made it. I, I, I" to everyone passing by.

Protection against stealing?
    Please.
    A company using a photo without first contacting the copyright owner to secure te rights, is not a company you'll be seeing money from.
    There's no money to be had from them.
    Period.
    They'll either crop your watermark, or just steal another photog's work.
    But stop thinking of this as lost money.
    These money weren't on the table to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin