Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,277   Online: 786

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

photography is about photographing the light

i can't say how many times i have spoken with someone, or read what they said or wrote to me
    and they say " photography is about nothing except photographing the light "
    ===
    i was driving someplace this morning where i had to make a series of portraits and i looked out my window as i drove.
    i was on route 1 driving south along the coast .. it was between 8 and 9am and the sun was up and over the treeline and glaring off
    of the bay. the sun bathed the houses on my right as i drove south.
    ===
    are photographs taken with a flash, or long exposures on a grey day about the light, or is it only the drama that is about the light?

Shooter
    35mm
    Photographs are about objects/people in the light.

Shooter
    35mm

look

We use dark and light as tools. The thing you have to do is "look at the light."
    Some people like to reduce everything to one snappy little saying. Life is more complex than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photography is about the light that bounces off of subjects.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Photography is about the light that bounces off of subjects.
    Or goes through subjects.

Or bends around subjects.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Light is essential to the process, but just a tool.

We choose how to use it.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Photography is about whatever you want it to be about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i can't say how many times i have spoken with someone, or read what they said or wrote to me
    and they say " photography is about nothing except photographing the light "
    I've never been able to decide if that's a truism, a thoughtless cliche, or a piece of wisdom that I haven't grasped all the layers of yet. Smarter people and better photographers than I have said it, and I don't really have the hubris to say "I know better" to all of them. But really, what *do* people mean by it---those who don't just mean "I heard this somewhere and I think it makes me sound smart", that is?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Most of my images are about the light reflecting off objects/landscape. Occasionally they are about light reflecting off the subject.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 04-07-2014 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, cameras are about capturing light. It's only one part of the big photography puzzle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin