Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,495   Online: 984

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Film is Racist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    The author Michael Crichton used to talk about a phenomena call "Gell-Mann Amnesia", named for the physicist Murray Gell-Mann.
    In Voltaire's Candide professor Pangloss stated the the reason the nose was place between the eyes is that the arrangement allows people to wear eyeglasses.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I first started shooting 35mm I quickly realized Fuji Superia liked to blow out the color red, but I don't remember assuming the creators hada fetish for pepperoni-cheeked white people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just below the article, and just above the comments, are links to other articles and such on the website. One is "Penis size by State", and another has a thumbnail picture of an office cubicle covered in post-its. This is the first I've ever heard of Buzzfeed, and I'm wondering if the articles throughout this site are supposed to be somewhat humorous and/or just total bullcrap
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would it matter? We made about ninety postings on that issue so the topic matters to us, non withstanding how that article was meant in first instance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    This is the first I've ever heard of Buzzfeed, and I'm wondering if the articles throughout this site are supposed to be somewhat humorous and/or just total bullcrap
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Would it matter? We made about ninety postings on that issue so the topic matters to us, non withstanding how that article was meant in first instance.
    Yes, it matters! Buzzfeed is generally nonsense. It is a prime example of people reading things on the internet that are then taken seriously - and discussed - when they are no better than nonsense. I do not believe Buzzfeed intends to be satirical, like The Onion, (It's not near as well written) but they are just a bunch of 20-somethings scrambling to put something (anything) on the net every day. It's quality level is very, very low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Yes, it matters! Buzzfeed is generally nonsense. It is a prime example of people reading things on the internet that are then taken seriously - and discussed - when they are no better than nonsense. I do not believe Buzzfeed intends to be satirical, like The Onion, (It's not near as well written) but they are just a bunch of 20-somethings scrambling to put something (anything) on the net every day. It's quality level is very, very low.
    First I'd heard of it. Garbage. Just like gizmodo (Turing test my @#!*% ), wired, all that other crap. Shiny crap for the dumber magpies.
    Film is racist?? First I heard that film had free choice...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Id suggest it is a spoof? ie it is not addressing film or race but instead sex in visual industry...

Think about it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Yes, it matters! Buzzfeed is generally nonsense.
    It has a similar purpose and use to the Guardian so called newspaper in Great Britain. Not good enough to wrap fish in the market, but suitable for covering birdcage floors and house breaking dogs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I had to hold on to my chair so as to not fall down as i was laughing so hard (and even louder as i read the edit note).

@this thread: The US is an extremely racist place, where racial segregation is still on many law books in many places, and where until not long ago water fountains were segregated, and until not long before that some humans were considered to be property in part, due to their place of origin and skin color. The situation today might be "portrayed" otherwise an has not really changed much 1mm below the surface. Ignoring those facts, and dismissing this article as propaganda of some agenda or politicization of something inane just exemplifies how bad the situation really is.

That was 50 plus years ago. Give me a break. That like saying "Germany is Nazi's" or the french is evil for Algeria or that the Japan is evil for what they did in China.

The fact is that it is much easier, even on digital, to get a good image of a lighter skinned person due to the fact that you won't underexpose the hair. Also the article shows professional shots in one hand, and snapshots in others. That is a apple to oranges comparison. Heck, even a snapshot to say, a dedicated amateur is a big leap in quality.

Now no one is shocked that Minilabs in the 70s and 80s did a bad job. They would screw up most images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without wanting to resurrect this thread, it's been unfortunately repeated again at the BBC:
    Model agents told her she'd never make it, hairdressers refused to touch her hair and Kodak didn't even make film that could cope with her skin tone, but somehow 40 years ago Beverly Johnson became the first black woman on the cover of American Vogue.
    Opening paragraph, no less.
    (although looking at that photo, I think whatever film they used worked perfectly with her skin tone, although I've not seen her in person to verify its accuracy)

sigh.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin