Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,039   Online: 903

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Film is Racist

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    What a waste of time.
    As is this thread ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you read the damn article and not argue ex culo, acting as if I endorsed everything she said?

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Oh, a professor. A couple of George Orwell quotes come to mind:

"There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them."

“What can you do, thought Winston, against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?”
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    film, any film, can produce images and portraits that look spectacular
    when they are used ( processed and printed ) by someone who knows what they are doing
    and the same film can make images and portraits that look terrible
    when used ( processed or printed ) by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

i don't think films are racist, but i think that someone who may be
    in the post processing film-chain may be unable print very well.

perhaps if the person who wrote the article contacted the company that provided the portraits
    or the lab that printed the portraits she could have gotten them to custom print her order ( to her liking).
    i have seen some terrible photographs made by custom labs, mini labs and mail out labs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    Why don't you read the damn article and not argue ex culo, acting as if I endorsed everything she said?
    I did read the article. I also read your posts and understand your position as merely the reporter with no endorsement at all - you have done us a good service by doing so. My statement was not aimed at you, but at the professor. Why would you think I saw one half of your post but not the other?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That is the silliest claim I ever heard of.

One of the guys I worked with was African American and we worked hard to balance all skin tones. Our normal photos included a gamut of skin and hair tones in order to capture all tones possible. We had redheads, blondes, brunettes and black hair. We had mail and female and even included people with acne (yes, we did).

This was in an effort to preclude such claims.

IDK when the policy started.

PE
    +1000
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, BTW, the system was designed to capture the lightest and darkest skin tones in one exposure with common lighting. This is contrary to what some have claimed. It is (was) made possible by the long latitude of C41 films.

I have one example here, but I don't have the rights to the image and so it would have to be severely edited for presentation and would cut out facial features. It is a set of 3 of the "Kodak gals" which never went public.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The kodak gals...don't tempt us so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it anything like the Soviet-era Wendy's Gals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAKtYGJZSM
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya ne znayu.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ya ne znayu.
    You don't know?

Go ahead, pass the buck. Leave us hanging in suspense.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin