Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,559   Online: 831

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In the subjective world to which we are all life-long captives I am reminded of Monor White's notion that we should prepare ourselves for viewing a photograph. He did this by a time for meditation perhaps to clear the detrius from his perceptions in order to see with clearer 'eyes'. The point being that so much of our appreciation depends on our state of being, not just in the moment of viewing, but in the many moments that accumulate into our overall experience of understanding and ability to appreciate what someone else has done.

Of course, when another photographer brings something to us we can assume (sometimes incorrectly) that there was thought, feeling, experience, skill that went into their image. But our viewing experience is only tangential to theirs and we come away with something quite different than they intended - every time!. Boehme said of literature that a book was like a picnic, the writer brings the words and the reader the meaning. In that nebulous ground where the reader and writer (the photographer and viewer) overlap we by default interpret along many of the lines mentioned in this long thread. Some of those lines are technical and some are emotive, others conceptual, etc. In the end the writer's story (or photograph) matters, but not exclusively. The readers (viewers) experience matters but not exclusively. If I only went away from a book thinking that the writer had been a technical wiz, that would be OK.

There is more than one way to be in the world and the world is big enough to hold us all. The point is we are all enriched in different ways, sometimes technical, sometimes viscerally by what we encounter.

On those rare occassions where it all comes together (technical sophistication/mastery, meaning, beauty, our inner ability to openly experience and integrate an 'other') something amazing happens. The amazing thing can rarely be repeated and if it is it will be different in the way and means by which the impact happens.

So, why, I might ask, does there need to be a dichotomy between technical and aesthetic appreciation. That they both exist does not mean antithesis or even polarity. Accepting paradox means that both can be equally true at the same time even if they conflict. The joy is we can banter about both but thte greater joy is to integrate them. That is not esy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    There is more than one way to be in the world and the world is big enough to hold us all. The point is we are all enriched in different ways, sometimes technical, sometimes viscerally by what we encounter...
    Absolutely. I could not agree more.

So, why, I might ask, does there need to be a dichotomy between technical and aesthetic appreciation. That they both exist does not mean antithesis or even polarity. Accepting paradox means that both can be equally true at the same time even if they conflict. The joy is we can banter about both but thte greater joy is to integrate them. That is not esy.
    In my opinion, that dichotomy does not exist. it is artificially created as something of a decontructionist strategy.

I do have one overriding mindset: I will view each and every work HOLISTICALLY, without trying to overanalyze it into separate "items". That may well (and usually does) inhibit a description of the work ... but it is a small price to pay for "enrapturement".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm

A week in Spain

Well, Tom enjoy your week in Spain. When you get back win the lottery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Did you read all of the posts? Outside of the obviously stupid (like my most recent), and those wishing to battle for the battle's sake, there were many good posts.

As mentioned before, Blansky's was one of the best, and shortest. Peter De Smidt also had an excellent post.
    You are quite right, I did see the odd good idea go by, but many others got lost in the smoke of battle. I rather doubt if ANYONE read ALL the posts on this thread.
    Observation directed at no one in particular: If you keep your posting to a length where it can be read on one screen without scrolling, the chances of its being read are MUCH higher!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    I am off to Wales this weekend then Spain for a week where I will be doing nothing apart from photography. Whoopee!

Tom
    Hope the conditions are good and will look forward to seeing the results in the gallery in due course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes have fun Tom. I enjoyed reading your posts in this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I have also wondered about this paradox and, surprisingly enough, this thread has helped me to clarify some thoughts. I believe (for the moment anyway) that prints exist as entirely separate objects from the subjects that were photographed, but that the meaning of the print is drawn from its connections to other images. Since the print is separate from the "things" in it, it cannot be experienced without the "technical". To try and divorce them is futile. It is still an image created from light however, just as music is created from sound, but it derives meaning from connections to other images, not from the technical aspects of the print itself.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin