Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,034   Online: 938

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    My original question was aimed more at the arrangement of the subject, rather than the operation and framing of the camera. I would imagine that some of the best portraits are not arranged, but more a question of timing during the interaction between the photographer and the model. Also how do you arrange objects for a still life shot that don’t make it look contrived? I once attended a lecture where a landscape photographer described how he might photograph a desert, but put a skull in the foreground to enhance the image. It is this sort of contrivance I am questioning. Also I would add, not dismissing it, as I know practically all advertising photography is arranged. But is that getting the best out of the image?
    That's what I was thinking. In my case, my talent "lies elsewhere" and that is why my arrangements feel contrived.

I think "Irving Penn" and I get. Well I get Bill Burk but it's just NOT at the level of beauty that I get when I take what I find beautiful in front of me.

I'll post a favorite "La Bufadora Still Life" when I get a chance. Shot in Mexico below Ensendada at the famous blow-hole with water shooting up...

I'm impressed that I caught the spray... as if it were an inverse shadow of the still-life I'd arranged.... But MY arrangement itself is stilted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sort of like mise en scene. I think its rather subjective, because the placement (or the non-placement) of a certain item has meaning. In my approach I like not to mess with nature, hence when I do landscapes, natural subjects, etc.; I don't manipulate the environment but rather try use it. In short, I personally wouldn't agree with the chap who used the skull in the desert. On the other hand, in the studio or on a 'closed set,' I carefully arrange the subject(s) that are in the frame.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin