Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,532   Online: 946

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    The above comments are right on. Achieving one's own style is something that emerges as a function of working. It is nothing you "try" to get. Picasso, an original artist if ever there was one, said, "The artist who tries to be original deceives himself. If he achieves anything at all it will only be an imitation of what he likes."
    I couldn't agree more. In fact, my wife and I were discussing this earlier today in terms of another photographer whose work we both know well. As my wife is an artist who was obliged to critique scores if not hundreds of artworks as a part of her art training, her observations about an artists body of work are focused and illuminating. ALL ARTISTS see in unique and personal ways. It's simply not possible to respond honestly to a subject and not be uniquely yourself. It's when one seeks to emulate or artificially contrive to create a style that one derails and becomes confused and perplexed.

As a musician, I know that my composer friends are always amazed at what theorists uncover in their work. Most of the time (and visual artists are not significantly different) they haven't a clue that they've done what another's analysis attests to they're having done.

So...the more one produces, the more likely it is that you can look at a body of work reflectively and see (or be aided in seeing by a colleague or teacher) what's consistantly there. Make no mistake. The ignorance of gallery owners looking for chimeral 'originality' must not dampen the certainty that, whether they see it or not, each of us has a distinct style given that we've done honest work.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    It is a lullaby. I take boring pics.
    The heck you do! Your pictures are definitely not boring!

I have no clue what my style is...I guess I'd have to say erratic. I think I'll go develop some film now!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claire - although you have nothing in your gallery at the moment, I seem to recall your images being well-balanced (not surprising, considering your background), but definitely not boring. So, fess up - aren't you a "samba girl" at heart?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you really discussing samba? Want some help? Claire, I did not see your pictures to the moment, gonna search them...

André Ferreira.

Shooter
    35mm

Confession for RHbarker

Well, if you have seen any of my photos it surprises me. I have not posted any whatsoever. I own not a scanner. I do not wish to own a scanner. I have never exhibited my work. So, are you sure my work is not boring?

BTW given my testicular condition..I never need worry about ovarian cancer..I do not dance. Therefore, I am definitely not a samba girl. I am certain that my granddaughter Cassie would be surprised to find out that grandpa is a samba girl.

Nicole the brevity and astuteness of your contribution to this thread has been studied, noted and is acknowledged to to be very wise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Did I miss something?

André Ferreira.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe in striving for a style-in anything. Just doing and doing will allow one to emerge.

I played my best golf when I was sick, emotionally retarded, or similar, as it would inhibit my natural enemy-thought- from getting in the way of what my body knew how to do. First time I ever broke par... I even tried to make myself sick one other time. Didn't work. Oh I felt like shee-it, but I played like it too.

Point is, we already have it. Just shoot, don't think.
    Unless you're a cop...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claire - sorry for my confusion about having seen your work previously, and for the mistaken gender assumption based on your name. I'm just happy my foot was clean.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Nicole the brevity and astuteness of your contribution to this thread has been studied, noted and is acknowledged to to be very wise.
    Hmm, well pointed out Claire although I was mearly trying to subscribe to the thread and bump it up for more input by other APUG'ers and so I could respond at a later date should I think of something intelligent and worthwhile to contribute to such a thought provoking thread.... (breath in)

The title killed the cat.

Kind regards, Nicole

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin