Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,996   Online: 1165

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

hard case

As a professional photographer I was a bit of a hard case. In this situation my thought would be to say thanks but no thanks. But you may have another read on the situation. It seems to me that you are asking for a world of trouble with this other dude poking his nose into things. And, yes, you need to learn how to fire clients. Another person might try to sit down with the client and outline why having another photog along is nothing but a disaster in the making. Maybe he will get it. If not, then you can fire him. Just a thought.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Some clients appreciate being educated.

Talk to the client, and explain the problem.

If that doesn't go well, then fire the client.

If it does go well, they are a good client.
    I agree with Matt here, it's worth an explanation. I would say that as a professional, I'm responsible for the quality of my work, and I can't guarantee my best work if there is another photographer on site because I can't concentrate 100% on what I'm being paid to do. The only way I could do this shoot would be per our original terms. If that doesn't work for the client, then I would respectfully decline.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Howdy!

Maybe something along the lines of;
    =======================
    Dear Client,

I appreciate the opportunity to serve you with regards to the photographic shoot on such and such a date and address. I must however bring up an issue that is somewhat uncomfortable to discuss, as I certainly value our business relationship and would hate to have anything damage that relationship.

I have a policy of not working alongside other photographers unless I have a pre-existing relationship with them. I may employ methods and techniques that I do not wish to share with other photographers, as they provide me some of my competitive advantage. I only allow those on site whom are necessary for me to complete the assignment. I therefore must ask that no other photographers be present while I am working on this assignment.

I am quite certain that if you had a potential business competitor show up to your business you would be hesitant to give them free access to the inner workings of your business, or allow them to see your processes and procedures.

I am confident that as a business man, you understand my position.

I look forward to your positive response, and confirmation that we are still a go on such and such a date.

Warmest regards,

.sig
    ====================================

That's how I would do it - But - please consider not possibly throwing the baby out with the bath - Sometimes having a good strategic partner / photographer can be better for both of you. One of my best friends was a "competitor" - another commercial photographer ( Dennis, has it really been 20 years since we last talked? http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/...2517522339.jpg )

When we all lift each other up, we all come out ahead.

So, yes, I would let the client know - but I would be ever on the lookout for a mutually beneficial relationship. You never know where they will pop up. But they do take some time to develop.

Hope you find this helpful.

Blaine
    Last edited by blaine.minazzi; 05-18-2014 at 11:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well your client has been up front with request.

training people like having an assistant is not that bad but you would need to be the principle photographer and photo director to a avoid any three way acrimony.
    Explain it is like a wedding 3rd parties get to take candits but don't get to interfere no cost delta,... ie.
    invisible gag. Everyone at wedding has at least a camera phone but the mum is paying and bride well behaved...

An assistant is ok if they

don't kick over tripod
    don't open a blad back without winding to backing or F2 withough rewinding
    drop memory card into storm drain

customer should understand concept of stills photog at cine sound stage shoot.

it is good training for you but warn about dialogue is potential overrun,
    a second day of shoot doubles the cost less obviously risk of a second day stops you booking it for another shoot you won't charge for 2nd day if not needed but you would need to adjust contract for contingency as will the models...

punch line is bride is not going to delay honeymoon flight?

don't email instead phone or visit...

customers have always understood about paying the piper

multi day shoots good $...

If you don't work on Sundays mention that... I've had multi week jobs overrun it was money in bank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you have to walk into a job with a secondary thought or responsibility in your head, then you're a poor man at work grubbing out a living. A prosperous man doesn't want or need those kinds of jobs. Being a "jobber" is not a particularly great life in the first place. It's wearisome. Some jobs, you've just got to let go, thousand dollars a day or not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Some jobs, you've just got to let go, thousand dollars a day or not.
    And sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to earn a living.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Talk to the client. Communication will end speculation and the situation could be resolved to your satisfaction.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    And sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to earn a living.

Steve.
    Yeah, don't I know it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    My initial response was to reply, 'What is your address so I can send you a contract, which you can return along with a check for the 50% non-refundable deposit".
    Weren't you going to do that anyway?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if there is trouble in the beginning, there will be trouble all the way through
    unless this job is absolutely necessary to survive i would just not bother with it.
    sounds like a potential nightmare
    ask me how ..

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin