Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,560   Online: 1217

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't burn any bridges with acrimony. After the second "photographer" botches the job completely, the client will be back with a renewed appreciation for your professionalism.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Weren't you going to do that anyway?
    Yes, I was, and I did send him that email. Further reflection upon the "I have a second shooter" brought out this topic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't try to sort this all out by email with the client. You can probably figure out the situation better with a five minute phone call and have better results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This kind of reminds me of my sister in laws wedding. Her wedding came...well somewhat earlier than expected and was sort of a rush ordeal. My mom and I decided a great part of our present would be to hire a photographer to document the day.

So on the wedding day, unknown to us, one of my sister in law's friends (you know one of the ones who thinks they are a photographer because they went out and bought an expensive DSLR and zoom lens) shows up and keept getting in the (paid) photographers way. She was even shooting over his shoulder when he was doing portraits of the bride, groom and wedding party. I kept trying to redirect the errant "photographer". In the end, I felt so bad that I went ahead and bought a bunch of prints and got his "cd" package on top of the fee we had already paid him.

If I were you, I might tell the client that their photographer friend is welcome to come and observe, but you don't need them getting in the way with another camera. That would get you off the hook of actually having to teach, and get rid of the problem of a 2nd photographer shooting over your shoulder and essentially "stealing" your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The working arrangement for the moment (which still goes out the window without signed contract and deposit) is that I will work with 2 models, the other photographer will work with 2 other models. This ought to be good enough to keep us from stepping on each others' toes. But I'm still skeptical of the ability of one of us or both of us to get the volume of shots completed in the time the client thinks they'll be completed - he wants to get the shoot done in 6 hours, photographing 75 items each (150 items total).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You need repeat customers and customer recommendations to survive today.

Even unreasonable ones.

Skin like a turtle...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The working arrangement for the moment (which still goes out the window without signed contract and deposit) is that I will work with 2 models, the other photographer will work with 2 other models. This ought to be good enough to keep us from stepping on each others' toes. But I'm still skeptical of the ability of one of us or both of us to get the volume of shots completed in the time the client thinks they'll be completed - he wants to get the shoot done in 6 hours, photographing 75 items each (150 items total).
    I just don't get why him hiring a second out photographer is helping here... If you agreed that you could get the 150 pieces done on your own in 6 hours, why throw a monkey wrench into the gears? Unless he only hired you for 75 of them?

Anyway good luck! This sounds like a challenge. Maybe I should come along too
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I just don't get why him hiring a second out photographer is helping here... If you agreed that you could get the 150 pieces done on your own in 6 hours, why throw a monkey wrench into the gears? Unless he only hired you for 75 of them?

Anyway good luck! This sounds like a challenge. Maybe I should come along too
    Stone-

In the original discussion, he did not mention how many pieces he needed shot, but I knew it was a significant quantity. I never quoted 6 hours - in fact, I quoted 2 days. He rented a space that is appropriate for the look he wants for the background. The space was available for 6 hours, and that is all he can afford to pay rent for. All of which he informed me of AFTER the fact.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    an average of less than 5 Mins an item.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Stone-

In the original discussion, he did not mention how many pieces he needed shot, but I knew it was a significant quantity. I never quoted 6 hours - in fact, I quoted 2 days. He rented a space that is appropriate for the look he wants for the background. The space was available for 6 hours, and that is all he can afford to pay rent for. All of which he informed me of AFTER the fact.
    This seems to suggest why he wanted to use two of you. But, it sounds like you'll be doing a wedding for bridezilla, and you'll take the heat if things don't go well for the other (less experienced) photographer. $1500 is attractive, but undertaking a job with so many 'if's may not be worth it. . I also think it is for you to determine and insist on the conditions that the job requires, and not the person hiring you. I'd walk away with a professional explanation and no rancor
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin