Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,875   Online: 951

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I just don't get why him hiring a second out photographer is helping here... If you agreed that you could get the 150 pieces done on your own in 6 hours, why throw a monkey wrench into the gears? Unless he only hired you for 75 of them?

Anyway good luck! This sounds like a challenge. Maybe I should come along too
    As the original post mentioned, second photographer is his (client) sister's fiancee. If you're willing the marry the client's other sister, you can probably go along too.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaine.minazzi View Post
    Howdy!

Maybe something along the lines of;
    =======================
    Dear Client,

I appreciate the opportunity to serve you with regards to the photographic shoot on such and such a date and address. I must however bring up an issue that is somewhat uncomfortable to discuss, as I certainly value our business relationship and would hate to have anything damage that relationship.

I have a policy of not working alongside other photographers unless I have a pre-existing relationship with them. I may employ methods and techniques that I do not wish to share with other photographers, as they provide me some of my competitive advantage. I only allow those on site whom are necessary for me to complete the assignment. I therefore must ask that no other photographers be present while I am working on this assignment.

I am quite certain that if you had a potential business competitor show up to your business you would be hesitant to give them free access to the inner workings of your business, or allow them to see your processes and procedures.

I am confident that as a business man, you understand my position.

I look forward to your positive response, and confirmation that we are still a go on such and such a date.

Warmest regards,

.sig
    ====================================

That's how I would do it - But - please consider not possibly throwing the baby out with the bath - Sometimes having a good strategic partner / photographer can be better for both of you. One of my best friends was a "competitor" - another commercial photographer ( Dennis, has it really been 20 years since we last talked? http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/...2517522339.jpg )

When we all lift each other up, we all come out ahead.

So, yes, I would let the client know - but I would be ever on the lookout for a mutually beneficial relationship. You never know where they will pop up. But they do take some time to develop.

Hope you find this helpful.

Blaine
    Very well said. I concur with this entirely.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The working arrangement for the moment (which still goes out the window without signed contract and deposit) is that I will work with 2 models, the other photographer will work with 2 other models. This ought to be good enough to keep us from stepping on each others' toes. But I'm still skeptical of the ability of one of us or both of us to get the volume of shots completed in the time the client thinks they'll be completed - he wants to get the shoot done in 6 hours, photographing 75 items each (150 items total).
    I hope the models are VERY good! That's a long day to be in front of the camera, and an incredible pace to the shooting!
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    As the original post mentioned, second photographer is his (client) sister's fiancee. If you're willing the marry the client's other sister, you can probably go along too.
    Did you ask of these were professional models or perhaps the wife AND her sister? Eep! At the pace you will have to shoot I would make sure to vet the models as well.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scott, tell him to take a hike.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The time frame reminds me of my days with Olan Mills doing portraits. We were booked at a rate of 3 minutes for a single subject, and 5 minutes for a group. I used to shoot 475-500 sittings, seven hour day,and five day week on the road. All the road photogs worked alone, had to do all our own paper work, shoot start, mid day, and end of day gray scales(and if we had a roll change), straighten up clothing, create a repor with the subject(usually kids--tough as hell), keep idiot parents happy, and get great shots so our proof sales people could upsell.

I see someone who will, by the end of the day, will be cussing the client and wishing the shoot never happened, unless the time frame is expanded. I hope you can pull it off.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The time frame reminds me of my days with Olan Mills doing portraits. We were booked at a rate of 3 minutes for a single subject, and 5 minutes for a group. I used to shoot 475-500 sittings, seven hour day,and five day week on the road. All the road photogs worked alone, had to do all our own paper work, shoot start, mid day, and end of day gray scales(and if we had a roll change), straighten up clothing, create a repor with the subject(usually kids--tough as hell), keep idiot parents happy, and get great shots so our proof sales people could upsell.

I see someone who will, by the end of the day, will be cussing the client and wishing the shoot never happened, unless the time frame is expanded. I hope you can pull it off.

exactly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would tell him the day rate is for you; His brother in law, acting as an assistant to you will have to be paid by him...it doesn't come out of your fee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not think the client is paying the future brother-in-law.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, you have a free assistant! Make him work his ass off...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin