Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,408   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Film shots as collector status

As film becomes obsolete, are images recorded on various films going to aspire to collector status. For instance kodachrome shots will eventually be as rare as Autochrome.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "As film becomes obsolete"....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Status is not only dependant on the rarity of something but of its contempory spread and status too.

In most part of the world Autochromes remained a rarity even in their time. Modern colour photographic materials had a quite different spreading, even developed into expandables. I assume this to influence future asessment in case of having become obsolete.

An other factor is fashion. I mean a change of attitude towards obsolete things that can hardly be reasoned.

Shooter
    35mm

moolah

I would not put my money on Kodachrome slides just because they are Kodachrome. I'm already invested heavily in Kodak and Polaroid stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As film becomes obsolete ...
    That is the first error in your posting.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Perhaps I should have said as some films become obsolete.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably more likely silver with spike in cost because of restrictions in mining or some new use for it, and film will get recycled for good money like xray films are now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Perhaps I should have said as some films become obsolete.
    " As film becomes obsolete" Clive is a statement that in boxing terms on this forum would be called "leading with your chin"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How about digital painting?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    There are digital paintings but art stores still canvases and paint. Film won't go obsolete just become more of a fine art medium.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do think the desirability of analog prints will grow as they become more rare. There are clients who will pay for a hand-printed, analog portrait. 30 years ago, that was nothing special. Today, there is something to it.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin