Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,490   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leica Schmeica

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmm... I don't see why anyone would get worked up over it.

Back in the day there were two basic pieces of kit for serious photographers, a Hasselblad MF and a Leica 35mm. They were expensive, but would last an entire career.

For that money you got realiabilty and as good image quality as you ever needed.

So it was a wise investment and not very expensive if you divide it by the number of years they would last.

Today a lot of hobbyists buy into the legend of these brands and think that their photos will be all the more serious if you shoot them with a Leica or a Hasselblad.

Clearly for hobbyists, there are far more economical choices. But if you don't want to be economical, that's your own choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    Hmmm... I don't see why anyone would get worked up over it.

Back in the day there were two basic pieces of kit for serious photographers, a Hasselblad MF and a Leica 35mm. They were expensive, but would last an entire career.

For that money you got realiabilty and as good image quality as you ever needed.

So it was a wise investment and not very expensive if you divide it by the number of years they would last.

Today a lot of hobbyists buy into the legend of these brands and think that their photos will be all the more serious if you shoot them with a Leica or a Hasselblad.

Clearly for hobbyists, there are far more economical choices. But if you don't want to be economical, that's your own choice.
    Giggle, I was in Professional Photographers of America a few years back and they published averages/benchmarks for the costs of running a successful studio. Depreciation costs for a digital studio ran about 10% of gross sales, film studios were under 1%.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure you got that much reliability either, or at least more than with Japanese cameras. The Hasselblad in particular is known for being not only finely engineered but a bit finicky in ways. Far from delicate but needing more adjustments and care than some others.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think there is often too much outward talk of optics and mechanics and magic film bullets, and too little of the certainly nebulous thing that is the inward. The best way I can put this is "fare thee well, Thomas". May the journey be fruitful.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    This will be my last post on APUG for a while, as I'm trying to work on said vision and try to work on making more interesting photographs.
    Enjoy the journey, Thomas. I'm interested in seeing where this takes you, as I find your work both technically, and aesthetically, pleasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.
    Just to be contrary......
    No Thomas, we won't let you go!
    But if you insist, I wish you wonderful light.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Likewise, may good light be with you in your search. I hope you do find your path and realize your vision.

However, in a final selfish note, I will certainly miss your interesting viewpoint and observations
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I think there is often too much outward talk of optics and mechanics and magic film bullets, and too little of the certainly nebulous thing that is the inward. The best way I can put this is "fare thee well, Thomas". May the journey be fruitful.
    The thing is, optics and mechanics and film and darkroom techniques etc. are easy to talk about, and make sense when we do, or at least we can make sense. Talking about vision and art and even composition becomes so vague, they just are not inherently verbal and don't lend themselves as easily to verbal expression.

Have fun Thomas, make some awesome images as I'm sure you will, and check back in when you can!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Likewise, may good light be with you in your search. I hope you do find your path and realize your vision.

However, in a final selfish note, I will certainly miss your interesting viewpoint and observations
    +1

When I see you've posted, I always know it'll be well-written and thought out. Please don't stay totally gone - keep us updated on what you've printed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin