Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,569   Online: 996

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leica Schmeica

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The thing is, optics and mechanics and film and darkroom techniques etc. are easy to talk about, and make sense when we do, or at least we can make sense. Talking about vision and art and even composition becomes so vague, they just are not inherently verbal and don't lend themselves as easily to verbal expression.

Have fun Thomas, make some awesome images as I'm sure you will, and check back in when you can!
    Right you are. And those things can be "solved" by buying new lenses, using a different or new film or developers! Great excuse! Can't buy a new vision or quickly implant compositional or artistic skill into your brain.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Talking about vision and art and even composition becomes so vague, they just are not inherently verbal and don't lend themselves as easily to verbal expression.
    So very true, and yet what matters and what we feel about our photography is just that non-verbal part. For a long time I've wanted to hear more about art and vision and composition on APUG, but you're right Roger, these are topics that are difficult to discuss.

Good luck Thomas, I hope you make photographs that you feel wonderful about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes Roger, I agree with you - but sometimes even a vague and roundabout discussion can lead on to something new. If not for the whole of the community, then maybe for a single person.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Right you are. And those things can be "solved" by buying new lenses, using a different or new film or developers! Great excuse! Can't buy a new vision or quickly implant compositional or artistic skill into your brain.
    Well nope, of course not. For that we get out and shoot and stop flapping our gums...or pounding our keyboards.

EDIT: Oops, I assume you literally meant "can't be solved by" and wasn't be sarcastic by saying "can be solved by.." My mistake.

Shooter
    35mm
    leica shmeica... just one more sale and i'm legally leica-free!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that most photographers need to feel confident that their gear will deliver the photos they seek. That the perfect photo won't be ruined by shoddy equipment.

That's probably part of the lure of the Leica. With it, the photographer can feel confident that his gear is as good as it gets. That confidence can then be projected into the images.

When I started photographing again after a long hiatus, I was taking the photos I wanted but the images didn't have the photographic qualities that I wanted. So, I've spent a few years testing various pieces of equipment and improving my technique. Now I know roughly what gear and techniques to use to take those shots that I envisioned but couldn't realise. A big part of that has been discussing equipment with other photographers to home in on the gear that I should try. There's too much gear out there to test it blindly.

The cost in money has been quite modest, as I avoid the over-priced stuff, but the cost in time has been quite considerable.

To me that is the right priority.

P.S. I'm not saying I'm a Master Photographer now, just that I have been able to overcome my initial frustrations over my lack of ability and equipment.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 05-27-2014 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geez Thomas, I always thought you already had a good handle on what you were saying, both articulated and photographically. God speed brother, return to us when you feel you are ready.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    I think that most photographers need to feel confident that their gear will deliver the photos they seek. That the perfect photo won't be ruined by shoddy equipment.

That's probably part of the lure of the Leica. With it, the photographer can feel confident that his gear is as good as it gets. That confidence can then be projected into the images...
    I can agree with this. I do think that you need to be able to trust your equipment. Quality is always important. But what appears to happen with some is that they equate Leica with quality...and not much else. This, of course, is a myth. Leica produces quality equipment, but so have many other manufacturers over the years. In fact most gear from the major manufacturers is pretty good stuff. Certainly some of it is getting a bit long in the tooth by now and may need some service, but that holds true for a lot of Leica gear as well.

When all is said and done, most people will gain much more by finding a vision for their work and improving their technique than by trading their Canikon or whatever for a Leica. And a new lens will not make your images clearer if your vision remains muddy.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    When all is said and done, most people will gain much more by finding a vision for their work and improving their technique than by trading their Canikon or whatever for a Leica. And a new lens will not make your images clearer if your vision remains muddy.
    Yeah, but I think anyone who engages in photography has a vision. Otherwise, they'd get bored and stop doing it. There also are some people who take bad pictures with good equipment and vice versa. But most photographers' work is a blend of their vision and their equipment. You can't have one without the other.

That's the reason why so many accomplished photographers tend to be obsessive about which camera, lens and film they are using.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good for you. Come back in 6 months or so and let us know how it's going.
    Of course you will be welcome sooner, if you deem it appropriate . Not a dig at Richard whose real sentiments of welcome back whenever you feel it right, express mine.

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin