Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,313   Online: 829

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leica Schmeica

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica Schmeica

http://leicaphilia.com/leica-photogr...ica-killed-it/

"That was “Leica Photography.” It wasn’t about sharpness or resolution, or aspherical elements, or creamy bokeh or chromatic aberation or back focus or all the other nonsense we feel necessary to value when we fail to acknowledge the poverty of our vision".
    I am faced almost every time I photograph, with humility, because of how much I feel I should attempt to improve what it is I want to say with my pictures. Probing inwards is so difficult.

This will be my last post on APUG for a while, as I'm trying to work on said vision and try to work on making more interesting photographs.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sums up well what many forget a Leica is just a tool to make images.

Good luck with the working on the said vision, I'm in a period of reworking my own thought after quite a lull in creativity.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I remember this article - it is great. From one side you have Leica fanatics, from another side you have people who think Leica is only status symbol for dumb rich people...
    But on the end Leica is just a very fine tool that one can use for decades to produce images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    [url]

This will be my last post on APUG for a while, as I'm trying to work on said vision and try to work on making more interesting photographs.
    Good for you. Come back in 6 months or so and let us know how it's going.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the bottom line is the bottom line. If Leica continued as just a tool they would never have competed effectively enough against all the big players and "good enough" camera makers and would be gone now. Many lament what they have become, a luxury provider of high-end image and lifestyle than focusing on the fundamentals of a photographic tool. So what? I find it amusing and a great success story but lament none of it. I'm a non-exclusive Leica shooter and love their cameras and lenses but have never in my entire life bought a new Leica product and likely never will.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Sums up well what many forget a Leica is just a tool to make images.

Good luck with the working on the said vision, I'm in a period of reworking my own thought after quite a lull in creativity.

Ian
    Yep, me too.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm

brand name

I have owned and used professionally various cameras from 4x5 to 35mm; one that took 2 1/4 by 7 inch photos on 120 film, two Leicas, a Rolleiflex and many Nikons including the original F. I also own a large number of tools for fixing things around the house, and repairing cameras and cars. I have no idea what the names of the firms that made the tools are, and I do not care. I made many thousands of dollars more with a Yashicamat than I ever did with my Rolleiflex. But I could have easily used the Rolleiflex instead of the Yashicamat. But the YM, five times cheaper than a Rollei at the time, was just fine and no magazine or newspaper ever said to me "get a more expensive camera." And it never failed me, either. My Rollei fell apart after a few years of moderate use. Perhaps a one-of-a-kind fluke.(I just bought myself a 60-year-old Rolleiflex after not having one for 40 years. I love it and adore my two Yashicamats, too.)
    A Leica -- the right one -- can be a fine tool for the job at hand. But not hardly the only one and not necessarily the best in every situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm trying to work on said vision and try to work on making more interesting photographs.
    Enjoy your work Thomas!

Last weekend my shutter for my 4x5's lens died in the middle of what was turning out to be a very special shoot.

Replacing the lens and shutter brought up all kinds of thoughts and variables and worry and weirdness in my head. In the end I just got the same old lens again, not because it's the best whiz bang this or that, instead it was just because it works for me. I simply like it's personality.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://leicaphilia.com/leica-photogr...ica-killed-it/

"That was “Leica Photography.” It wasn’t about sharpness or resolution, or aspherical elements, or creamy bokeh or chromatic aberation or back focus or all the other nonsense we feel necessary to value when we fail to acknowledge the poverty of our vision".
    I am faced almost every time I photograph, with humility, because of how much I feel I should attempt to improve what it is I want to say with my pictures. Probing inwards is so difficult.

well articulated,and if you already know what you want to say with your pictures,you are a step ahead of most of us.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It's just a self-inflicted complex. Inferiority complex.

I am this close to book a trip to india and use 2 holgas and 100 rolls of film. My keepers would be near 100%, i'm sure.

I'm back from europe where I did a similar exercise: 50 4x5 ektar/portra pinholes. In a few days i'll see the results. I am expecting 48 keepers. This experience was extremely liberating. Certainly beats all the Bull about "quality". Especially beats all the digital crap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin