Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,686   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1324

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old and worn out

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][SIZE=4]Old and worn out. I have had cameras and other equipment reach the point where they were no longer useful and had to be tossed. Unfortunately I have reached that point at 85 too. But I am not ready to throw in the towel. Arthritis in both shoulders makes focusing an enlarger painful and some of the action in the sink of a darkroom strain muscles too. I thought about switching to digital to print. But even using Photo shop elements and my Epson scanner the results are far from what I expect in a print. My working background was in graphic arts and high end drum scanners, so the technology was not daunting, just the cost! The simple act of burning in corners on digital is a major project. Surely I am not the only senior photographer who has faced this problem of trying to continue working in a darkroom. How have any others dealt with this problem?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may be time for a good apprentice!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Maybe you can take a newby under your wings and teach him proper darkroom skills from you experience!!
    Let him do all the handy work, while you guide his hands with your eyes and knowledge.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quit aging. Jack Benny was 39 when he died and had entertained many people for 80 years.

Shooter
    35mm

well

I guess you could say I am a young whippersnapper compared to you -- but not by all that much. At a certain point you have to decide to slow down a little bit. I have been taking photos seriously for about 60 years and of course most of that was on film. Digital just leaves me cold. Oh, I use it for a quick photo to throw up on the Internet but its like fast junk food compared to a five course meal at a great restaurant. I suggest you don't stop darkroom work just be more picky about how much you want to do. I just bought a "new" Rolleiflex (60 years old) and it is a beauty and has me all jazzed up about making negatives. As far as health, two years ago I was a wreck. Now I am much better. There's a lot of life left in old bones. Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All you need is a new lady.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Talk to Ralph, he's doing the digital thing now.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beseler and LPL both make focus extenders ( others may too). Much easier to use than extending your arms.
    If possible, you can lower your sink, and use a rolling stool to move from tray to tray. Something soft, like pipe insulation, on the edge of the sink will help with arm strain.
    Good luck, whatever you choose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmolson View Post
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][SIZE=4]Old and worn out. I have had cameras and other equipment reach the point where they were no longer useful and had to be tossed. Unfortunately I have reached that point at 85 too. But I am not ready to throw in the towel. Arthritis in both shoulders makes focusing an enlarger painful and some of the action in the sink of a darkroom strain muscles too. I thought about switching to digital to print. But even using Photo shop elements and my Epson scanner the results are far from what I expect in a print. My working background was in graphic arts and high end drum scanners, so the technology was not daunting, just the cost! The simple act of burning in corners on digital is a major project. Surely I am not the only senior photographer who has faced this problem of trying to continue working in a darkroom. How have any others dealt with this problem?[/SIZE][/FONT]
    i still intend to go to the local university, which still teaches photography in a darkroom, and help out students. It's a great way to pass on skills and get to use a first class darkroom with easier=to-access equipment. You might check it out.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are enlargers with motor focusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin