Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,499   Online: 936

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a photo of me taken by my friend Mel, an illustrator by profession.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5345147466_d378050485_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	89149

Here's a photo of a painting of me done by my friend Mel in Acrylics.

Name:	5344555753_395e475213.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	89150

Which one is the real me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    exactly

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To quote an extract from Fox Talbot’s “The Pencil of Nature” - But when the sensitive paper was placed in the focus of a Camera Obscura and directed to any object, as a building for instance, during a moderate space of time, as an hour or two, the effect produced upon the paper was not strong enough to exhibit such a satisfactory picture of the building as had been hoped for. The outline of the roof and of the chimneys, &c. against the sky was marked enough; but the details of the architecture were feeble, and the parts in shade were left either blank or nearly so. The sensitiveness of the paper to light, considerable as it seemed in some respects, was therefore, as yet, evidently insufficient for the purpose of obtaining pictures with the Camera Obscura; and the course of experiments had to be again renewed in hopes of attaining to some more important result.

Compare this with what we are able to achieve in photography today, chemical/digital or otherwise. If you accept that a photograph is probably the nearest we have to a time machine. Then try and imagine how this concept may be developed in the future to actually provide that time machine, to look and experience both the past and future.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    OP...Overthinker...Just press the button.

If you can't shoot anything worthwhile then of course do the second best thing...write about it like Sontag did.

While 'clicking' may not be perfect, it is the best we got unless you wish to shoot video.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Here's a photo of me taken by my friend Mel, an illustrator by profession.

Name:	5345147466_d378050485_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	89149

Here's a photo of a painting of me done by my friend Mel in Acrylics.

Name:	5344555753_395e475213.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	89150

Which one is the real me?

Beautiful work!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    All photographs are lies, often lies of omission. My current work relies on photography's inherent inability to walk behind the subject to see what is really going on.
    Liked your website!

Very nice and impressive CV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right. Everything out there, and in there, is an illusion. That's the first thing I learned in art. In fact, there is no in there or out there. Nothing we perceive w/ our senses is really, truthfully correct or real, and nothing is really as we see it, hear it, smell it, etc. It's simply our own personal idea of what is "real" at that particular moment, and that changes depending on how our mind is at that instant in that particular situation. Nothing exists on it's own by itself. Everything is in relationship to everything else. It's all one, which is not to say it's all the same thing. Everything is in a state of inter being. When we have a consensus of agreement, then we call that real, and for practical purposes it is. But, it's not. It's not that it's really like it seems, or really not what it seems, it's just that it's not, not what it seems. Some Zen understanding is the only solution on this, and I don't mean reading about it in a book either. Most of what we call real or truth is merely cultural conditioning.

If all colors are dependent on light, what color is something when there is no light? What is the sound of one hand clapping? It's this.....

There is absolutely no possible way to truthfully know what anything anywhere is. Forget that stuff. That fact really, really bothers a lot of people and brings out anger, confrontation, conflict, etc.

We form consensuses in order to communicate w/ others, but that doesn't mean what we are communicating is the "truth". It's an agreed upon truth. It's not empirical. Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth. Information, knowledge, wisdom....that's empirical. Truth is something set aside from that, and you can't get there from an empirical start.

That's the easiest way to look at it, in a negatively expressed manner. Describing things as they are NOT is usually the best way to go. Reality is not dualistic, and the minute that way of thinking started (which works for a lot of stuff, but not for everything) things went downhill and in the wrong direction.

http://www.101zenstories.com/
    Last edited by momus; 06-06-2014 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Some Zen understanding is the only solution on this, and I don't mean reading about it in a book either.
    I didn't like to mention that.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    OP...Overthinker...Just press the button.

If you can't shoot anything worthwhile then of course do the second best thing...write about it like Sontag did.

While 'clicking' may not be perfect, it is the best we got unless you wish to shoot video.
    worthwhile is a relative term because what i think is worthwhile you may obviously think is utter nonsense.
    i have read some of photographers/on photography, 30 years ago. no over thinking, just thinking ...

i took a 16x20 print off the wall this morning and it wasn't a photograph, but something else.
    sure, it was a cove-scape, based in reality, paper negative f32 / whatever, but it wasn't ...
    and shooting video is the same thing as using a camera, non-reality but long sequences of non-reality.

when i apprenticed a portrait photographer she told me of all sorts of "tricks" to make flattering photographs of people. she
    told me how to tilt the camera, and film plane, to make a long nose short or a short nose long, she told me the difference between
    someone's good side and their bad side, and how to remove blemishes, lines, wrinkles, smooth skin, rid crows feet, laugh lines necklets ..
    people paid us to lie ...

and now i am wondering what dennis purdy meant last week when he said and "honest portrait'
    ===

thanks for the posts so far ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All, or most, photos are real images of what was. This illusion crap is just that... Sorry, that is my simple mind talking.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin