Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,050   Online: 1029

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Sometimes a picture is just a picture

- Freud (paraphrased)
    . I wonder if it was the same student?
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    To quote an extract from Fox Talbot’s “The Pencil of Nature” - But when the sensitive paper was placed in the focus of a Camera Obscura and directed to any object, as a building for instance, during a moderate space of time, as an hour or two, the effect produced upon the paper was not strong enough to exhibit such a satisfactory picture of the building as had been hoped for. The outline of the roof and of the chimneys, &c. against the sky was marked enough; but the details of the architecture were feeble, and the parts in shade were left either blank or nearly so. The sensitiveness of the paper to light, considerable as it seemed in some respects, was therefore, as yet, evidently insufficient for the purpose of obtaining pictures with the Camera Obscura; and the course of experiments had to be again renewed in hopes of attaining to some more important result..
    Let's have a talk like William Henry Fox Talbot day!

"The effect produced upon the transilluminated computer output device when the disk file had been written by the transparent original image sampling peripheral device was satisfactory enough; but the impression of the paper was not strong enough. Further experiments produced an effect which more closely resembled the paper; when the reflected light image sampling device was chosen for the source of the file. This contradicted earlier convention whereby the introduction of additional generations of image transfer through intermediate materials was sought to be minimized."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Only God is Truth.
    Only physics is truth.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    even straight forward documentary photography isn't really what's there.
    while it can be called evidence or and artifact it isn't, its just an illusion, a reflection, a light-shadow.
    its not the kind of illusion that vanishes ( but it really is ) it can't reappear
    somewhere else ( but it can ) and it is more based in "reality" than painting and drawing
    ( not really ) ... color negatives or diapositives aren't true to life, black and white images even less

with the ephemeral quality the materials we are all fooling ourselves with it all just like chalk on the sidewalk ?

what do you do with the illusions you make, and do you even suggest that they might not be "real"

A similar thouht struck me as I was photographing moving objects a few weeks ago.

What does it mean to freeze time and get an image of an object, which really isn't exactly there?

But my mind started to boggle, so I dropped it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You dropped your mind or you dropped the object? (be careful of your toes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    You dropped your mind or you dropped the object? (be careful of your toes)
    I dropped the thought, but I don't know if my mind went with it. Supposedly, one doesn't know if one has lost one's mind

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Only physics is truth.

Actually both require a leap of faith to get there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography is at its heart unnatural in that we live in a constantly changing now and a photograph is a static image of a "now" that is forever gone. Before the invention of photography there was no way to preserve a moment of time. Some would say "well what about painting?" But a painting is someone's interpretation and only bears a slight connection to reality. If, as some believe, a completely new reality is created for every action taken then a photograph represents the moment just before this new reality is created.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sometimes i take portraits of people ...
    the close friends, even the person who i took the portrait of says " who is that ?!'
    it doesn't look like or resemble them at all. it wasn't me, i just pushed the button ... it was the camera.
    it isn't hard to create a new reality with a camera, based of the shimmer of our own reality
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Actually both require a leap of faith to get there.
    Our films, lenses, shutters, chemicals, papers, etcetera, interact with the world in certain ways and I can test and see the results of the physics involved here and now.

Our films, lenses, shutters, chemicals, papers, etcetera, don't care about what we believe, or about what we think, about what's written in books about them, or about the magic bullets we might have faith in, or about what we understand, or about what we have yet to learn.

Physics typically gives us "proofs" (observations made of real phenomena) that we endeavor to explain afterwards.

Faith(s) tend to provide explanations that we try to prove later.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 06-08-2014 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin