Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,462   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

illusionary quality of photography photographs, and photographic processes

even straight forward documentary photography isn't really what's there.
    while it can be called evidence or and artifact it isn't, its just an illusion, a reflection, a light-shadow.
    its not the kind of illusion that vanishes ( but it really is ) it can't reappear
    somewhere else ( but it can ) and it is more based in "reality" than painting and drawing
    ( not really ) ... color negatives or diapositives aren't true to life, black and white images even less

with the ephemeral quality the materials we are all fooling ourselves with it all just like chalk on the sidewalk ?

what do you do with the illusions you make, and do you even suggest that they might not be "real"
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thinking that hard gives me a headache.

Shooter
    35mm

accurate

I can hold an 8x10 photograph or a color slide in my hand. Of course the results from a camera are real. Are they a perfect reproduction of the scene they show? No. The human eye is a fisheye. Our conceit that an 8x10 photo taken with a camera with a "normal" lens is what the eye sees is pure nonsense. But if I show you a crime scene photo which clearly shows the knife was on the right side of the body and not the left, and a witness says the knife was on the left side of the body, well that is evidence.
    Nothing is perfection this imperfect world. In fact, there is an old Russian folk saying that "nobody lies like an eye witness does."
    Fingerprint evidence is mostly bogus. The cops normally get smudges, not prints, and nobody has ever actually done a test to see if everyone in the world has different fingerprints or not. Another conceit. And there is no national standard as to what constitutes a "matching" fingerprint. The FBI says 14 points on the print, or something like that but some places will accept four points. It is voodoo and bullfeathers. I know a guy who was convicted of armed robbery on the basis of one fingerprints while 32 people testified in court he was somewhere else at the time. A Sheriff's deputy lifted his print off a drinking glass at the station house and stuck it onto a bank teller's cage. If you are holding your breath waiting for photographs to be perfect likenesses, you will hold your breath for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following statement by Allen Ginsberg seems particularly apt for this thread.

"The poignancy of a photograph comes from looking back to a fleeting moment in a floating world. The transitoriness is what creates the sense of the sacred."
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    what do you do with the illusions you make, and do you even suggest that they might not be "real"
    I keep my images in a binder. Creative I know but they get printed and basically tossed aside except for a select few which I hang. I don't suggest that the pictures are a completely non-fictional reflection of the original. I like long exposures so most of the time it's the world as it changes through time (even if that time is only 8 seconds). Even when using shorter exposures i tend to view any of the photography as the way either I see the world or how I wish I could see the world.

Does any of that make sense?

Did I misunderstand the question?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am constantly in dispute with those who seem to think that by interposing a physical-chemical (or indeed digitising) process between "the World" and their own perceptual apparatus, they somehow thereby gain privileged access to what's "really there" ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    even straight forward documentary photography isn't really what's there.
    while it can be called evidence or and artifact it isn't, its just an illusion, a reflection, a light-shadow.
    its not the kind of illusion that vanishes ( but it really is ) it can't reappear
    somewhere else ( but it can ) and it is more based in "reality" than painting and drawing
    ( not really ) ... color negatives or diapositives aren't true to life, black and white images even less

with the ephemeral quality the materials we are all fooling ourselves with it all just like chalk on the sidewalk ?

Work with a real scene and the limitations of the media whatever they are and use that to create something that looks good to me. I just took a number of photographs of my wife's friend house in France. My wife thought the house was old and ugly but the photographs now make she think why her friend's house is much better looking than ours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just spent too much time replying to your paper negative post and now I need to get to work... I'll be back!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All photographs are lies, often lies of omission. My current work relies on photography's inherent inability to walk behind the subject to see what is really going on.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They call portraiture photos "a likeness" of the person. Obviously it's not the person. But you'll have a tough time convincing a jury that the photo of you holding a bloody knife in the person you just stabbed to be an illusion.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin