Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1152

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to look at the effect of the early Topographic photographers in the US quite different to Europe, then European switch much earlier than the US to smaller formats. Most importantly the very different effect of WWI & WWII on European photography. WWII almost killed photographic history as a continuous evolvement, materials were in limited supply in the UK the Government had asked people to give up high end cameras for military use and even after WWII new cameras were in very short supply until after 1950.

The first UK Art Photography Degree course only started in the 1970's, we hardly saw the work of US photographers until around the same time, It was the Family of Man Exhibition being shown in London that changed things here.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, one is that men tend to take a different style of photo than women, and although some disagree with me here, in Islamic cultures and some others, women are not allowed to take pictures.

As noted, the Chinese have the B&W / Color bias, and we have observed that Europeans prefer a different grade of contrast and color palette. Those are just a few.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    in Islamic cultures and some others, women are not allowed to take pictures.PE
    Is this true?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is this true?
    No. Maybe in one or two countries but in most of the Islamic world women take photos.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is this true?
    I know that in a few countries many are not allowed schooling, the ability to vote, or drive a car among many other restrictions. The car thing was relatively new in the news too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the country. There is no hard and fast rule. Generally, if women are not allowed to drive or go to school, then they cannot take photos. This is also true in parts of India I am told, but for other reasons. I don't have enough information and I have lost contact with those who did the surveys.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is cultural divide even inside large areas such as the united states. When I visited France I took my camera. I took all sorts of shots. Most people thought that all my photos where good, but when I went to show some to my co-workers at the time, a few of them where HORRIFIED that I took a photo of a naked statue. They where outright offended.

Though everyone liked this photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails France.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on the country. There is no hard and fast rule. Generally, if women are not allowed to drive or go to school, then they cannot take photos. This is also true in parts of India I am told, but for other reasons. I don't have enough information and I have lost contact with those who did the surveys.

PE
    A Dutch lady the wife of one of my friends was telling me once that in Holland in country districts people would not have their pictures taken because they considered a camera to be "the eye of The Devil".
    I do believe there are vast cultural geographic differences worldwide to views on the visual arts for example in Islamic Art depictions of the human form are forbidden because according to the Quran it is idolatry, so portraiture is out.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-14-2014 at 07:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craygc View Post
    ... "why would I want to hang a photo on the wall of someone I don't know!"
    I'm not Chinese, but I agree with this viewpoint. On the other hand, I have a friend who has a few framed pictures where the photos are not of members of his family. There's one in particular in his basement toilet that you can look at while you're doing your thing. It's in color and the picture my friend told me is of Ponce De Leon. I ask my friend why he picked a photo of a painting of this great explorer for his frame. He told me it came in the frame when he bought it and he saw no need to replace it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PE
    That Indian reference is absolute gibberish. You may not like the place, but no excuse for tossing out ridiculous opinion as fact by word-of-mouth.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin