Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,134   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Cultural Geographic Divide

Do you think there is a cultural divide in photographic/image appreciation dependent on geographical location? For instance, is the European view different from the USA, or the Far East? I suppose this is very dependent on the subject matter, but I ask the question in the hope of stimulating an interesting discussion.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nay.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes. There must be.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    35mm

well

When the classic Japanese film "Rashomon" won a big international film prize in Italy in 1950, Japanese critics said that the film must be not Japanese enough if foreigners "got it." The truth is that there are universal truths, myths, stories, experiences. I have family members that come from Asia, the US, Europe, Latin America and the Orient -- the Middle East. People are pretty much people.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seen some pretty much different approches to things here at Apug at both sides of the ocean, I say yes.

One thing that comes to my mind is nudeness. Anyway, current technology may not only equalize on information but also on attitude.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is NO phtographic appreciation here in the boonies (Youngstown, Ohio)!.

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in France and Canada, and occasionally in the US. The only difference I ever see is in modern photos and art, is when there are fads that come and go at different times.
    But at a more basic, traditional level, it seems people like Cartier-Bresson, Ansel Adams, and many others are equally admired, (and valued) just about anywhere you go. At an exhibition of Adams in London a while ago, I stood behind four local Brits who were admiring the scenic beauty for sure, but also commenting on the excellent artistic eye, skill, patience and determination it must have taken to create those pictures.
    Good art is good art.
    Last edited by hdeyong; 06-06-2014 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: word change

Shooter
    Large Format
    Will this discussion be on the exam?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope not cause I already failed!

Jeff

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin