Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 938

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting article, but I'm not sure it says much, once you read past the surface-layer rantiness. It's obviously written in an intentionally polemical way, but the actual content I got from it boiled down to "he may be right, but his copy is Bad Art, and anyway focusing on mechanics over artistic talent misses the point".

Which might all be true---I don't know about the Bad Art bit, but the other two theses seem reasonable---but seems itself to miss the point of the original experiment. Probably nobody disputes that Vermeer was talented as all hell, but I don't know: did anyone, other than the author of the _Grauniad_ column, read the original article as carrying the message "Vermeer was nothing special, he just had a magic tool"?

It reminds me a little bit of the "photography isn't art" / "yes it is" / "no it isn't" Argument Clinic of the early 20th century. If an artist used a sophisticated tool, something that could allow a complete tyro to duplicate some of the challenging mechanics of their work, would that devalue the work as capital-A-Art? I thought we'd gotten past that question long since, but maybe the tree of controversy needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of repetition, or something like that.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They lost me at this point: "Click images to embiggen.".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    ... did anyone, other than the author of the _Grauniad_ column, read the original article as carrying the message "Vermeer was nothing special, he just had a magic tool"?
    Well, yes, I did. I could be wrong. YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Well, yes, I did. I could be wrong. YMMV.
    Fair enough. I thought it was more of a proof-of-concept intended to show that something may have been in Vermeer's toolbox, but I could be wrong too. Actually, we're probably both wrong and it was primarily a way of selling DVDs.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Actually, we're probably both wrong and it was primarily a way of selling DVDs.-NT

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a fun exercise based on the slimmest of premises and not a shred of proof. The claim that you can't see variances in shading on a wall is completely ridiculous. Artists have been accurately reproducing and creating subtle shading for centuries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin