Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,591   Online: 831

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Stills versus movies? Different means to different ends!

Until stop-action still photography was invented no one knew what moving things really looked like. Even the great old painters got breaking waves and galloping horses wrong.
    Until long exposure still photography was invented no one knew what a moving image integrated over time looked like. The great landscape painters never painted a waterfall like a flow of cream.
    Think of still photographs as physical facts.

Movies are narratives and narratives, at least sometimes, consist of a stream of successive facts.
    THANK YOU !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These are two completely different media to me, movies compared to still photography.

I'm working with a filmmaker, who I'll hopefully be providing some stills for...

Part of a discussion we had... I told him I was never able to make movies and he felt he was unable to take stills...

He added... "not to compare myself talentwise at all, but approach wise, I am more of a Tarantino and less of a Kubrick"

So in that spirit I told him... "by the same token I am more an Adams than a Mortensen"...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Bill said. Different media with different skills for different purposes.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    With the moving image becoming more common in digital photography, do you think the still image is now or soon resigned to history?
    Not at all. Both still photography and motion pictures are different crafts in many respects. One cannot compare one to the other; they are both unique forms of expression.
    For example, consider how in still a single 'fine-art' image can draw many different ideas by the audience/viewers, and how in the motion-picture it is the director's* idea(s) being conveyed directly to the audience.

Now-a-days, all that is different is the ease of use for acquiring digital video upwards of 2K on the consumer/pro-sumer level. In short both will live on even on that day that we have Star Trek-type holodecks.
    Last edited by yurisrey; 06-24-2014 at 07:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There will be differences in the future, because although moving and still photography involve their own skill sets, the wider availability of video tools and their relative ease of use (compared to the past) and the amazing accessability of youtube and other resources will most likely mean that many creative people will choose in the future to use video to express that creativity when in the past they may have chosen still photography.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    With the moving image becoming more common in digital photography, do you think the still image is now or soon resigned to history?
    clive

for 10years or more commercial photographers often times shoot DV (digital video )
    burn a cd at the end of a shoot, and someone snatches stills from the stream of images.
    if that is what you mean ... commercial photography will NEVER be the same again /
    unless the client wants something "different" meaning the way it used to be ...
    or something heavily "retouched" which used to happen with silver prints as well ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What is a "moving image?" They are all stills. What is your cutoff between seeing a 'still' or 'moving' image? 30 fps, 24 fps, 18 fps, 6 fps, 2 fps, 0.5 fps? The average museum viewer sees a new picture each 30 seconds, that is 0.03 picture frames per second.

This discussion of movie vs still is not new with respect to "still" cameras. You all have seen this, right? I guess next we will be discussing if color pictures are really better than B&W now that they can be produced so easily by a cellphone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwv82GIrHOg
    love it
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the most consistently overlooked aspects of still photography, in fact the fine art image, often oversimplified as 'composition', is the ability to tell a story in a single moment, frame, image – however you would like to define it. That is a moving image (double entendre intended). I always strive for it, and encourage others to tell their own story in their images, no matter the format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    for 10years or more commercial photographers often times shoot DV (digital video )
    burn a cd at the end of a shoot, and someone snatches stills from the stream of images.
    if that is what you mean ... commercial photography will NEVER be the same again /
    unless the client wants something "different" meaning the way it used to be ...
    or something heavily "retouched" which used to happen with silver prints as well ...
    Well, that's what they're doing with the latest iteration of dslrs, even proffered as a selling point by Canon.
    So not only can you now get 18MP at 14 frames per second with the traditional "still" mode, you can get 4k video (8.8MP) at 25fps and frame-grab from that (and then airbrush the hell out of it anyway). The only thing you can't do with that is 'normal' flash/strobe lighting, has to be continuously lit (or natural/ambient).

Personally, I use high-speed on my 7D and EOS 3 very very rarely when shooting birds and sports. For anything else I'd much rather spend 2 hours building a lighting rig to take 1 photo I know is right than to spray off a few hundred and spend 2 hours sifting to find the good one. Unfortunately from the digital forums I used to frequent (not any more, I only come here now), I know I'm definitely in the minority: most photogs I know (even the ones who shoot weddings) actually prefer the latter.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As already mentioned,the ease of moving pictures display, and interactive capabilities increase, the demand in some areas for stills will decrease.

I'd rather see interactive movies of how to instructions, than a few stills.

At the same time, there are stills that I could explore every day for the rest of my life, and if they were movies they would not have near the attraction or impact.

One cannot, and never will, replace the other.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin