Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,872   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Moving image v still

With the moving image becoming more common in digital photography, do you think the still image is now or soon resigned to history?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi clive

moving images have been common in silver photography since the 1800s.
    why would a different media make a difference ?
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having been bored out of my mind with home videos I can't see moving images displacing a quality still. Making a good movie clip needs far more skill and expertise than most of the people have who make them. I think it will just be a tool that teenagers use to amuse them selves.

Tony

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi clive

moving images have been common in silver photography since the 1800s.
    why would a different media make a difference ?
    Because now it is as easy to make a moving sequence with digital as it is to make a still. Not the case with film.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not just the ease of shooting a a film but also the nature of viewing media today - was not easy to put "moving pictures" on a wall before, nowadays most photographs are viewed online where it is just as easy to view a video. I think that is just as big a change.

I don't think photographs will ever be obsolete just like live theaters, poetry, novels or paintings weren't replaced by other competing types of media that surged in popularity or ease.

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1988 Michael Evans, one of my good friends and a former presidential photographer, produced a book - HOMELESS ON AMERICA - for Tipper Gore (Al Gore's wife) and a non-profit organization. They also produced a promotional video with slow pans of the B&W still images and plaintive banjo music in the background. I found the emotional impact of the video with the slow pans and music to be much greater than just looking at the still images by themselves.

Ken Burns later went on to make many video programs with this technique. and it has become known as the 'Ken Burns Effect'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Movies and photographs have their own niches. Photographs can be mounted on the walls. It is hard to mount a movie on the walls.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Photographs can be mounted on the walls. It is hard to mount a movie on the walls.
    People do it all the time with large, flat screen TVs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is a "moving image?" They are all stills. What is your cutoff between seeing a 'still' or 'moving' image? 30 fps, 24 fps, 18 fps, 6 fps, 2 fps, 0.5 fps? The average museum viewer sees a new picture each 30 seconds, that is 0.03 picture frames per second.

This discussion of movie vs still is not new with respect to "still" cameras. You all have seen this, right? I guess next we will be discussing if color pictures are really better than B&W now that they can be produced so easily by a cellphone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwv82GIrHOg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    People do it all the time with large, flat screen TVs.
    So people mount several flat screen TVs in their living rooms to show multiple movies simultaneously, just like I have multiple photographs mounted on my walls?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin