Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,451   Online: 984

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Snippity snip snip
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Easier still to never hang out with camera club types who care what other people are shooting with.
    huh probably more than about 80% of apug is like that ...
    whenever there is an " us and them " sort of framework it never ends well
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-01-2014 at 09:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    So much hate ... seems a terrible waste of energy
    overcompensating when I was looking at my 25 years old slides.

I am too old and get older expecting perfect digital. Industry make a digital camera /year ( maybe 2 years ) and waiting perferct digital ... i will die.
    An old F is near perfect, also an Fany Nikon. An 5 years old digital is a disposable junk but digital industry happily will sell to you "the perfect" junk every year and must wait a decade for a decent zoom.
    Last edited by F4user; 07-01-2014 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    ..Easier still to never hang out with camera club types who care what other people are shooting with. I barely notice which cameras other photographers use, but I'm sure it'll have no correlation with the aesthetic quality of their work.
    I moved and joined a local photo club. Since it's a retirement community, you can be sure that everyone there had used film cameras earlier in their lives. Everyone else uses digital now (I think). I submitted one digital photo and one film photo to a recent photo competition that allowed two entries per person. I said nothing about the equipment I used and no one asked. The judge told me my film shot perspective should have been changed for better impact. No one even realized the one shot was film. The photos were projected on a screen so the entire auditorium could see each photo as the judge rated them. Of course I had to scan the film shot. But the point is no one asked about equipment used, lenses, digital or film, etc. or how much post processing was done for that matter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    But the point is no one asked about equipment used, lenses, digital or film, etc. or how much post processing was done for that matter.
    Congratulations. You found the world's only photo club whose members aren't interested in gear. [/cynicism]

Seriously, the only camera club people I've ever met were fascinated by equipment, took unoriginal photographs and were obsessed by exposure and sharpness. I doubt they'd have known a great image if it bit them on the a***. If things have moved on, I'm pleased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    So "if the film goes away the cameras are usless" then? Well, so? The same is true of 35mm, at least the cameras if not the lenses. I guess I still don't see the point behind the point, as it were. (Nor do I think there would be an gap to fill quality wise, just in making old equipment useful again and nothing lasts forever.)
    Hi Roger, I actually agree with you. But to take that back to the original topic, the point beind the point is that many photographers who have been using MF and LF for some time, and even newcomers to MF and LF, feel uncertain and jittery about future availability of film, and that is partly what causes the defensiveness (and other emotional responses, not excluding film snobbery and digital-bashing) the OP was referring to. It is a major distraction for some, which is really a shame. The best way to counter the disappearance of emulsions and formats is to buy and use them, and for as many as possible people to do so. Buying and shooting one roll is infinitely better than a hundred thousand posts bemoaning the rate of decline, as if moaning does anything to the bottom line of the companies producing film products. There is one additional point about digital, related to my own cameras/lenses and emotions about them. When a system can accommodate a hybrid approach, it adds longevity. That is why the Mamiya 645 AF-D II that I have is still in my possession, even though I haven't found a particularly good deal on a digital back yet. It just makes me feel better about it, and I don't particularly worry about what the future holds there. The same to some extent goes for my Nikon equipment. If I tally up everything I've spent on Nikon film bodies, it still amounts to less than 1/4 of what I spent on a single D800. In the mean time, I happily use my F100's and F5's, knowing that even if I scrap them eventually, I still lose less money on them than my digital acquisitions, and it's not as if what I produced with them suddenly becomes obsolete or vanishes. The slides and negatives will still be there. The peace of mind opens me up to concentrate on photography and not to fret about what my equipment is worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F4user View Post
    overcompensating when I was looking at my 25 years old slides.

I am too old and get older expecting perfect digital. Industry make a digital camera /year ( maybe 2 years ) and waiting perferct digital ... i will die.
    An old F is near perfect, also an Fany Nikon. An 5 years old digital is a disposable junk but digital industry happily will sell to you "the perfect" junk every year and must wait a decade for a decent zoom.
    Being happy with your F is not helping Nikon to show 10% growth per year, is it? Ironically, the fact that Nikon is still in business and doing reasonably okay means I can use a raft of new lenses such as the 60/105 micros and 24-120/4 and 80-400 AF-S on my F5 and F100 film bodies. Life may not always be this good, but for now it comes together nicely.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would like Nikon produce 18-180 / 2.8 for 35/FF cameras. I will buy 3 for sustaining Nikon business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am defensive about using film only when some busybody tries to tell me I how much more wonderful digital is and I really should be doing that. As if I haven't spent thousands of dollars on digital equipment for my wife. There are too many of those people and it's none of their f*****g business what my hobby is. This subject makes me crabby.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I honestly think hybrid workflow will support the film business to a greater extent than 100% analog workflow, because it's the tools lots of people like or have, and for many people the end product is a scan or requires a scan. But there's room for both. But don't say 100% analog workflow better supports the film ecosystem if 90% of film users don't work that way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As a example, I cannot use a 100% analog workflow. I do not have a room that can be made light-tight that has ventilation. And there is a fair number of people like myself. So I scan in to see what I have and then choose to see what gets printed. Perhaps as my skill rises I will look into renting a darkroom to produce analog prints, but till my skill increases, I am better off learning. Of course I do not go into detail on APUG since this is a Analog only forum.

As for defensiveness of film, most folks I encounter think it awesome that I am still using film and many times people strike up conversations with me, and recall that with film they took less pictures, but they where better, and how they don't like the fact that they are a hard drive crash away from loss of photos. However they don't view it as film as being worth dealing with unless you are "serious".

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin