Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,186   Online: 1117

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All Alone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go one further... I'm seeing fewer and fewer real cameras being used to take photographs. Mostly phones and iPads (or the like).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Fifty years ago, if someone from my home town traveled to Rome, ...
    You described past and present tourist situation very well.

When I look movie "Roman Holiday" - I see romantic times long gone, not so many tourist, nicer than it is today, more original, nostalgic... But - as you say - flying is become available to much more people than in past (for me too, I am not complaining). Together with cheap hostels, airbnb, you can look in internet forums where and what is cheap... Many people I know are trying to get some originality in culture when they travel - they are complaining that "all is the same". You go to starbucks in Rome, same as back home, surfing in hotel like at home... So what they are trying is to visit some non touristic places (like Georgia - country, not USA part, or Mongolia) - to run away from this tourist places like west Europe, or Disneyland. But this can be more costly and/or risky.

Shooter
    35mm
    This morning I shot one of my favourite combos, a Canon 3000n with a 40mm 2.8 pancake. Unless someone took a very close look, or heard the film advance, they'd swear it was an APS-C DSLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you're observation might be slightly skewed by the fact that many who shoot both film and digital might choose digital when traveling/sightseeing.

None the less, the overall observation of few film photographers is, I'm sure, correct. But I'm less troubled by the movement to good digital cameras as I am by the movement (as BrianShaw noted) to phone pics for everything. Then again, I can remember all the fixed focus 126 Instamatics used before digital.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I can remember all the fixed focus 126 Instamatics used before digital.
    Exactly.

Economical cameras in the hands of consumers has always resulted in zillions of crap photos...the sort of photos that are meaningful only because it shows that Uncle George traveled to Rome 40 years ago or because that's what Aunt Betty looked like before she got fat. They are family memories. That's all.

Maybe digital is a really, really good thing in the sense that today, all the crap photos are taken digitally. Maybe that will result in a perception of film as something only used by artists. That wouldn't be so bad.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not want photography to be limited to artists I'd like it to include Uncle George too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I was thinking: I was never in China, but it is possible that digital craziness did not reached maximum in whole population in China? In West Europe (and I guess USA and Japan) every body has expensive digital camera - maybe majority of people in China still can not afford 500-1000€ camera? And it is cheaper to use film.
    My hot news chum is concerned that the camphone users are getting photos to the picture editors screen by email before him and hense onto paper or web site.

Most people have phones with two cams for selfies, on train or bus, everyone else is nose into web browser, not a gendre I take photos of now if they were to kiss...

Some of our Ch tourists have film cameras, as well as camphones, many have excellent English, eg

Ch tourist photog student asks me where can he buy a Rolli and film - he has gfriend in tow and her parents.

I walk the family to first shop, only a block away. On the way he asks

'why does your M2 not have a lever under the shutter release like mine?'

'the delayed release lever was an additional cost option on '58 models.'

And no I don't have an expensive digital camera only a smart phone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Exactly.

Economical cameras in the hands of consumers has always resulted in zillions of crap photos...the sort of photos that are meaningful only because it shows that Uncle George traveled to Rome 40 years ago or because that's what Aunt Betty looked like before she got fat. They are family memories. That's all.

Maybe digital is a really, really good thing in the sense that today, all the crap photos are taken digitally. Maybe that will result in a perception of film as something only used by artists. That wouldn't be so bad.
    It is, in that most of those crap photos will evaporate when the storage devices become unreadable - or just degrade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry a film camera around NYC all the time. I see other film users daily (strangers and not in neighborhoods I hang out in, just passerby on the street/subway). It's possible that you may not see other film users out and about because I think most local photographers are not interested in being out and about during "tourism" hours, much less tourism locations. Additionally, remember you're there on vacation, you probably don't have a day job at home that let's you wander with a film camera, so the other film shooters in Rome probably don't either...

Not to worry, they're out there.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At one time, you would regularly see people with movie film cameras.

More recently, they were carrying video cameras.

Now they carry cel phones or DSLRs or extravagantly priced 4K cameras.

Most likely, products from the most popular current segment of the marketplace will be most visible in a place like Rome.

The last time I was out shooting was Sunday. The only other camera I saw that day was an 8x10, wielded by another APUG member.

So timing is everything!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin