Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,933   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: All Alone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

All Alone

I made a comment in another thread that I thought would generate an interesting discussion so am posting it here under a proper subject heading.

Compared to China, I have seen exactly ZERO other film shooters here while out shooting in Rome. I nearly always see someone shooting film when in Shanghai (anything from 35mm to a Hasselblad), but here in Rome, none at all so far. I'm sure that someone else is out there, but not too many of them. It feels more than a tad odd being so different from all the other digital shooters. How can no one else see the fun in shooting film?? There are a bazillion people in this city all with cameras shooting a gazillion photos. You can really see how much Kodak and the others have lost out in the move to digital. Every snap back in the day was money in their pockets. What a staggering loss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In every western city I was - I see like 1-2 film user on whole weekend. 99,99% of people like their facebook, instagram or whatever over proper photo made on paper (from film or from digital source). They don't make photos to have memory of it, or to make some nice art, or to enjoy photography as a craft, ... they do it to share on line with virtual friends - who are doing the same - and funny and sad is that nobody is looking on those photos: author nor virtual friends. If there is a digital photography - but no internet - there wold not be so many pollution of senseless digital images.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    On the French news this morning they reported that people around the world make 1.4 billion images per day (they're speaking of digital, of course) -- and, per the report, most are made to share with friends and family on social media. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I have a hard time imagining that most of these image-grabbers spends much time actually looking at what they've imaged.

My bedtime reading last night was my notebook of film developing from about five years ago; I must remember to buy more glycin...

Shooter
    35mm
    My personal feeling and experience is that there is a good but obviously relatively small community of people in Europe who still uses film extensively. I would probably not expect to easily spot this kind of photographers in the touristic areas of Rome or other big cities. I´m sure they are there too somewhere, but too diluted to appear to the naked eye. We have to accept to be rare and therefore valuable (hopefully).

Shooter
    35mm
    In Rome there are enough film shooters to support an analogue photography shop so there must be some more people around taking photos without using digital. This is the shop: http://www.ars-imago.com/ I have no affiliation with them apart from being a happy customer of their Swiss branch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    On the French news this morning they reported that people around the world make 1.4 billion images per day (they're speaking of digital, of course) -- and, per the report, most are made to share with friends and family on social media. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I have a hard time imagining that most of these image-grabbers spends much time actually looking at what they've imaged.
    This is what I am talking about. They just sitting there - nobody is looking at them.

Yesterday I was developing for the third - fourth time prints from my sisters wedding - I was second photographer. Fist one was pro with a canon 5d and white lenses, he made couple of DVD's with thousands of jpg's. They are sitting there and nobody is looking at them. I made prints from TriX - and people are looking at those, and from time to time some friends or relatives from sister or husband are saying - I want this print as well. It is not digital vs analog: it is print vs bytes. When some digital shooter wants to show me some photos - I always say: show me the prints, no jpg's. If you did not made prints - then you don't appreciate this photo - and I will not look at it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    This is what I am talking about. They just sitting there - nobody is looking at them.

Yesterday I was developing for the third - fourth time prints from my sisters wedding - I was second photographer. Fist one was pro with a canon 5d and white lenses, he made couple of DVD's with thousands of jpg's. They are sitting there and nobody is looking at them. I made prints from TriX - and people are looking at those, and from time to time some friends or relatives from sister are saying - I want this print as well. It is not digital vs analog: it is print vs bytes. When some digital shooter wants to show me some photos - I always say: show me the prints, no jpg's. If you did not made prints - then you don't appreciate this photo - and I will not look at it.
    Absolutely agree! I have some couple of thousands jpegs from the days back when I was using a digital camera. They are in a folder in some drive. Don´t even remeber them and don´t feel like I have "made" them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Compared to China, I have seen exactly ZERO other film shooters here while out shooting in Rome.
    I was thinking: I was never in China, but it is possible that digital craziness did not reached maximum in whole population in China? In West Europe (and I guess USA and Japan) every body has expensive digital camera - maybe majority of people in China still can not afford 500-1000€ camera? And it is cheaper to use film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was shocked to read somewhere recently that the majority of all all the photographs ever taken in history were taken in last two years.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tip to avoid long queue to get ticket to Colosseum: Get the ticket at entrance of Roman Forum..tada...just 10mins of standing.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin