Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,088   Posts: 1,635,905   Online: 1026

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    35mm
    +2
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    My wife is an artist. Most people assume, correctly, that that means she is a painter. Despite those here who simply will not accept definitions as even possible, 'artist' should be defined. There are martial artists, con artists, conceptual artists, recording artists (really? even with autotune?), and culinary arts, language arts and the list continues. So, for me at least, (my white man's, eurocentric, English speaking self) an 'artist' is one whose accomplishments go beyond quotidian craftsmanship. In photography, when that happens with film or a sensor, and the results please MY aesthetic sense (just me....white, eurocentric, English speaking ME), the maker of that work is an artist who is practicing their 'art'.
    You seem to be mixing up Fine art and Applied art.

HR Giger, studied Applied arts, he is gifted, makes work that impacts lots of people, has alot to say about the world with his work, yet he is a craftsman, a designer.
    Stephen Shore on the other hand, studied, and has been teaching fine arts since the first class of photography in a fine arts educational institition. He has little to nothing to say about the world (his words now mine)He makes boring (as in uninteresting), technically mediocre work, which has a minor impact on a very small circle of people yet he is an artist.

The definitions, here, are not the issue, because art is not a quantifiable value, even though some relentlessly try to comodify it.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not mixing up anything.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I am not mixing up anything.
    You must be right then.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin