Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,806   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Yeah, but is it art?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This was settled 100 years ago. Yes, it is art. End of story.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Such a sloppy slope, defining "art". Behind a successful artist, is a great art broker (IMHO).

Shooter
    35mm

art

Is art ... well, Art? "Art" with an "A" meaning fine art, swell stuff, and that sort thing. If you look up the meaning of art with a small a, well, some toddler dipping into his nappies and scrawling his stuff on the wall is art. But it is "Art" like Van Gogh paintings. No.
    It's pretty silly to bring all this up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am reminded of the signature line of fellow APUG member 'darinwc', quoting Frodo:

"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It may be more meaningful to say what isn't art. Any takers on that?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This refers to what I would term good art, for lack of a better word: It's only art if it makes the grade, no matter what the medium. Most stuff I see, photographically speaking, is simply snapshots. Just like most painting is simply eye candy or pushing paint around. If it were easy, then everyone would be making art. It's not, and they're not.

If we're talking about bad art, or art that pretends to be art (artifice) then heck yes, we're drowning in that stuff. It's probably always been that way, there are just so many more people out there churning that crap out nowadays. It used to be you had to travel to a gallery to see even bad art, not it's on billboards, in store windows, on the telly, on our phones, and we're force fed the stuff on the internet. Philip Dick saw it coming decades ago.
    Last edited by momus; 07-08-2014 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Is it art?" == "Can it be sold?"
    Jim

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Yeah, but is it your blog?

I don't get what's going on here. There are apparently no pictures of, nor any name associated with the about blog/blogger. It seems to be linked to the OP. Are you surreptitiously starting discussions on blogs you wrote?

FYI: I didn't read the article, nor would I under these circumstances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, if that is your blog... nice darkroom!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin