Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,240   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Landscape photography

I generally shy away from this subject, as I have always thought that the photographic medium can never do this justice, or at least not in the same way a painting can. I’m sure many will disagree, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't paint.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I generally shy away from this subject, as I have always thought that the photographic medium can never do this justice, or at least not in the same way a painting can. I’m sure many will disagree, but I'm interested in your thoughts.
    That should be reworded: "I generally shy away from this subject, as I have always thought that I can never do this justice, or at least not in the same way artists who love the subject can."

Now, this absurd thread might be worth responding to in some useful manner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why don't you tell us what you find lacking in the photographic medium when applied to this subject? It's appropriate to share something more substantial than a one-line opinion before asking for the thoughts of others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi.
    Don't know what to say ...
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_A...nake_River.jpg

Regards
    Analogue flickr
    Thank you for this forum !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    That should be reworded: "I generally shy away from this subject, as I have always thought that I can never do this justice, or at least not in the same way artists who love the subject can."

Now, this absurd thread might be worth responding to in some useful manner.
    I don't know. A lot of landscape painting is pretty cheesy. It's very hard to do well.

Landscape photography usually turns out well if you have a basic grasp of exposure and composition.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think you should shy away from it cliveh. Your cityscapes remind me of landscapes.

Only difference between that and what I consider a landscape is the subject matter which in cityscapes can't easily remove the influence of man.

In landscapes, I like scenes that hide any signs of humanity. I also like a human touch, but for this subject I want to discuss purely natural scenery.

In the Sierra Nevada, with a few miles of hiking, you can easily find scenes where the only sign of human intervention is the hiking trail. And then, since you are probably "on" that trail... Your eye is given a pristine view in two directions perpendicular to the trail. If the regulations permit you to wander off trail, soon you can have a full view entirely surrounded by natural scenery.

(Tip: In Southern Sierra, south of Sequoia National Park, you can have clear skies as well, because air travel across the mountain range is concentrated into east-west patterns over paths towards San Francisco and Los Angeles... Over Yosemite, contrails confound the skies with unnatural straight lines.).

Now, in this setting, cliveh.... Do what you always do. Stroll about, using your developed eye to scan the surroundings for beauty. Take some chances with compositions.

The photographic medium and your developed instinct for poetic expression in it... is an ideal combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love landscapes. Like mention before I can't paint.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    one should never shy away from anything. it is best
    to attempt to try things that are difficult or that one does not like,
    even if it is because you can not do it justice ...
    because you gain insights about the subject but more importantly
    you gain insights about yourself ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me the subject is easy to discuss, if I like the visual impact personally it matters not whether it be photo or a painting. I'd say my understanding and appreciation lends more to the photo world as I've done a lot of landscape photography over the years. However, my weakness of never having studied or made any attempts at artful landscape painting does not leave me lacking for a real appreciation for something I like.
    Both are a good art and can be absorbed as pleasure or business as one might see fit.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin