Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,578   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Bayhem" a creative crutch?

I'm just as guilty as everybody else. I use visual cliches and I'm a derivative of other photographers.

http://petapixel.com/2014/07/15/visu...ly-illiterate/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    So much of the article's author's experiences and contentions so don't apply to me that I hardly know where to start – so I won't. If you want to see interesting cinema camera work, have another look at Citizen Kane (Gregg Toland), if you can get past enthralling acting and story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's impossible not to. If you think you aren't, it means you probably don't realize it.

Shooter
    35mm

real not reel

Movie directors used to be real people, not film school grads who know nothing about anything they haven't seen on the screen. Olde time movie writers and directors and actors were hobos, working stiffs, delivery drivers, bread line waiters and the like. They swiped ideas from real life and real people and didn't need to steal from each other. Ditto with film cameramen -- most of them do Shot 12 or Sequence 92 or whatever is stored in their limited brain capacity. And the "films" look like crap.
    Suggestion -- don't see anything filmed or directed by anyone who went to film school. That includes cornball Speigelbeagle and DoofusLukas who is getting richer churning out the same old, same old for a lifetime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I thought that was a more interesting article than the usual wringing of hands about networks and photographs and Kids These Days. I'm not sure I'm qualified to draw a line between "good" and "drivel", but the basic category of "flashy stuff with a superficial sophistication" seems like it's real and much encouraged by the dynamics of social networking, for what it's worth.

Everything is derivative, of course, and I think it's a red herring to focus too much on that aspect of any cultural trend. It's easy to find examples in any art form of people who have taken a set of derivative genre conventions and subverted them to create something that breaks the genre mold---somewhere out there, I suppose there's some young-Turk filmmaker who's about to do that with the "Bayhem" style of overload, but I'm probably not their intended audience.

IMHO, the worthwhile distinction isn't between "derivative" and "original", but between "crutch" and "influence".

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do any of you think that cinematics is used to prop up a week story line? I prefer a good story over eye candy any day.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mourn the loss of creativity and originality in Hollywierd. Everything today is remakes and ripoffs just to be able to use the most modern and up-to-date CG effects without thought to plot. I have been sorely disappointed in "The Hobbit" because it emphasizes visuals instead of story. I seriously dislike anything out for viewing these days.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As much a I appreciate a good story in the film, I also like films that are heavier on the artistic side. Something like Metropolis or "Man with a movie camera" can tell a decent story with heavy duty imagery. Same goes for something like the Steve Mcqueen "Le Mans" movie, which very little plot and story but an intoxicating visual and sound experience. That was one-up'd with "Speed Tribe". Run Lola Run has a dead simple story, weak acting, but the music and confluence of events make it memorable. "Triumph of the will" must be respected NOT for it's story but for the quality of compositions and how it works as a whole.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everything today is crap. It was so much better when I was younger.

Who said that?

Us.

Our parents,

Our grandparents ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Watch any film by Andrei Tarkovsky and you will have faith restored.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin