Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,699   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    There are more digital shots each day now than there were Photographs for the first 150 years of photography all together. Flicker reached 6 billion in 2011. 62 million in one month.
    Snap chat has 400 million per day.
    this offers a history timeline.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwar...aken-ever-6zgv
    If this is true, does it not prove that the machine gun effect is irrelevant to photographs that are keepers, regardless of the medium?
    Last edited by cliveh; 07-18-2014 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Digital still images surpassed film, plates, paintings, drawings in total a while ago.
    Same like text messages surpassed letters on paper.
    But I like it on film and paper

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Today, everybody is a 'photographer' and dues never had to be paid.
    That became true with George Eastman's "You push the button, we do the rest" approach to photography.

The artistic intricacies become either irrevelant or they become simply glossed over. Being 'artistic' does not require groundwork anymore,
    Who says "photography' needs to be "artistic" Much of photography has always been about memory shots.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    FWIW, I recently heard a report on the radio or TV that over a billion photos are made very day now -- of course 99.9% digital. That strikes me as exaggerated, but when you see what people do with cell phones etc on a daily basis, it's almost believable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Digital is not always bad

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    As a cockroach has about 50 babies at a time, we humans usually have only one. That analogy must mean something as far as the debate between number of digital shots versus number of film shots goes. - David Lyga
    I know I'm going to get a nasty response, but digital shots are not necessarily bad. It's only how photographers shoot with it. When I shoot film, I slow down and more thoughtful. While shooting digital, I more careless. I was learned on a film camera so I still have analog habits which I think it's a good thing. The bad part about digital is some people shoot a ton, then don't edit the outtakes. Or there's another extreme where they take a single digital image then they edit the hell out of in in Photoshop. Some people in digital portraits have plastic skin. BTW. I save the silver halides for the good stuff
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The source for this is another publication. And the way those figures were calculated for that publication are questionable at least.
    Quite possibly, but even if they are wrong by 50%... Here is a more reputable post One million physical photos in one day in 2011 on Flicker

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-b...ours-in-photos
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    FWIW, I recently heard a report on the radio or TV that over a billion photos are made very day now -- of course 99.9% digital. That strikes me as exaggerated, but when you see what people do with cell phones etc on a daily basis, it's almost believable.
    But where will those "billion digi photos" be in 10...20 years time?....doubtless most will have gone "corrupt". Unlike my carefully processed b&w negs from the 60's that print up as freshly as the day they were processed.

These were taken on my Rolleiflex, slowly and with thought, as a result they are valued. Very different from today's digi cameras that rattle away at ten frames a second; faster that the brain can think. Such pictures are probably just as quickly discarded, just like the cameras that produced them will be when the next "super improved whiz-bang" model comes out.

It occurs to me some photographers are concerned with pictures, others with megapixels.

Shooter
    35mm
    The mass production problem applies to photography quite well nowadays. I know I could instantly produce and share uncountable numbers of images of virtually whatever comes in front of my eyes at any instant, just having a simple digital device that records in fact instantly with a simple touch. Put this way it really sounds convenient and convenience is above all these days, especially for those who make money for conveniently selling billions of those mentioned devices and services for people to immediatley share their massly produced photos. And that is what people do everyday. It' s our modern convenient and often thoughtless life. This forum is the place that makes me feel good by hearing people who still want to concentrate and think and put their craft and efforts to create something meaningful in an image and that are aware how difficult that is, regardless of how convenient are the devices or methods they use. For meaningful images statistics don' t count.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin