Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,002   Online: 922

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I would much rather rely on taking tricks like viewpoint, timing, perspective and composition.
    why is that ?
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    why is that ?
    Process tricks can be done at leisure, weeks, months, years if necessary. Tricks at the taking stage require quick thinking, seconds or fractions of and are thus more challenging (for me that is).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    do you rely on processing tricks, exotic developers and chemistry
    excessively saturated or muted color films, vintage or new equipment
    damaged film, paper or other things to help you get your point across?

These and more (including careful composition) are all part of my toolbox. Along with a generous serving of happy accidents, serendipity, and "wonder what will happen if.." I can be a darn good "technical" photographer when I want to, but --for me and my work-- it feels like something (a sense of wonder, perhaps) is missing.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Process tricks can be done at leisure, weeks, months, years if necessary. Tricks at the taking stage require quick thinking, seconds or fractions of and are thus more challenging (for me that is).
    but when your taking tricks become second nature, as is what usually happens when we do something
    often .. will you do something else ?

the challenge of things makes us better
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    do you rely on processing tricks, exotic developers and chemistry
    excessively saturated or muted color films, vintage or new equipment
    damaged film, paper or other things to help you get your point across?

These and more (including careful composition) are all part of my toolbox. Along with a generous serving of happy accidents, serendipity, and "wonder what will happen if.." I can be a darn good "technical" photographer when I want to, but --for me and my work-- it feels like something (a sense of wonder, perhaps) is missing.
    a sense of wonder ... i like that
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of ways of making pictures and logically one would choose a medium whose strengths are ideally directed to the ends sought.

What photographs do best, that other media do not do well, is to make pictures that are directly and materially linked to the subject matter they depict. As a consequence photographs can offer a profound and sobering assurance that the subject matter really existed essentially as it appears in the picture. Or to put it more generally and abstractly there is a one to one correspondence between points in a photograph and places in real world subject matter.

If one wants pictures featuring blobs and swirls, technical artifacts, maybe a bit of recognisable stuff, and chance markings, it is possible to make them doing semi-realist painting or digital picture-making. It is also possible to get there by the use (misuse?) of photographic materials. But to the latter I tend not say wow! or what! but rather why?
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post

If one wants pictures featuring blobs and swirls, technical artifacts, maybe a bit of recognisable stuff, and chance markings, it is possible to make them doing semi-realist painting or digital picture-making. It is also possible to get there by the use (misuse?) of photographic materials. But to the latter I tend not say wow! or what! but rather why?
    Why? Because film allows one to do so. Having a strictly formal view of what can be created, using film, limits both the medium and one's imagination. For me, the beauty of film is in the infinite possibilities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Why? Because film allows one to do so. Having a strictly formal view of what can be created, using film, limits both the medium and one's imagination. For me, the beauty of film is in the infinite possibilities.
    An excellent point! Perhaps the beauty of any picture-making medium, not just film, is enhanced by an infinity of expressive possibilities beyond traditional usage.

I think of Monica Lee who labours to make graphite drawings that look exactly like black and white photographs.
    And then there are Omar Ortiz's oil paintings that look exactly like giant colour photographs.
    Photographers of the Linked Ring Brotherhood strove mightily to make their photographs look just like etchings.

I wonder, in all these cases, is the original medium being celebrated because it can be forced, by exquisite effort, in directions it doesn't want to go. Or is there a subliminal dissatisfaction that paintings and drawings aren't photographs and photographs aren't etchings?
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use film and develop and print it with nothing exotic. With pinhole and with paper negatives, still nothing out of the ordinary, though I have played around with some extremes ( cold developer, very used developer... ) and it was fun and I found compensating development that I'm sure I'll use again. And even with salt prints, I'm trying to follow what was traditionally done or at least not something new. I'm not sure if my answer is "yes" or "no"! It's just that sometimes what I'm aiming for isn't "traditional".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The idea that somehow one must only do certain things with a medium, or that not doing something a certain way is trivial or inauthentic is quite absurd.

I know it is rather a tired analogy, but a painter who chooses to use Dulux rather than grinding her own paints, is not thereby doing something false or incorrect, and her painting is no less a painting or (potentially) a piece of art for that choice.

The kind of artistic (or, perhaps more accurately, technological) apartheid that dismisses all but a single approach puts me in mind of of arguments that belong to the 1880s, not the 21st century
    Last edited by pdeeh; 07-28-2014 at 03:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin