Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,435   Online: 795

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

real or imagines what way do you process or print film to achieve what you want

do you rely on processing tricks, exotic developers and chemistry
    excessively saturated or muted color films, vintage or new equipment
    damaged film, paper or other things to help you get your point across?

what is your point anyways?

please answer this any way you want, i am not overly anal retentive
    about satire, seriousness, or making a joke ... feel free to jest
    about anything you want ...

as for me ..
    i rely on tricks of nearly every sort. overly saturated sometimes soft muted blurry
    negatives, exotic chemistry, expires chemistry, bad film and paper ...
    and my only message is do what you want and enjoy yourself..
    and if people have issue with it ... whatever ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Using processing tricks does draw attention to the photographer's technique and away from his subject. For us who prefer sharing the subject with the viewer to demonstrating our technical abilities, basic equipment and processing suffice. We learn more about the World from conservative photographers, and more about photography from people like Jnanian.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Using processing tricks does draw attention to the photographer's technique and away from his subject.
    Using processing "tricks" can also allow the photographer to express his viewpoint, thoughts, feelings, etc. about the subject. It's not always a technical demonstration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John; seems to me you have a pretty healthy philosophy regarding the making of your own images. For my part, I welcome a certain amount of randomness at the taking stage; that is, those uniquely photographic artifacts like camera shake, lens flare and subject movement or a mixture of all. Any variables at the processing/printing stage just makes my head explode, although a few of my favourite photo's are the result of some mild/serious/catastrophic but serendipitous anomaly in the process. Regards, B.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's Sunday morning and I must resist the urge to preach ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    do you rely on processing tricks, exotic developers and chemistry
    excessively saturated or muted color films, vintage or new equipment
    damaged film, paper or other things to help you get your point across?
    YES! I especially love my Chromoskadasic chemicals and toners. Makes things look the way I want them too (at least most of the time). All my cameras are old, so vintage equipment is just what I have. I do like my Holgas and 110 cameras for their unique results. This is my fun in photography.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Technique can be as much of a trick as anything else.
    while some may say "there is no trick to taking a good photograph, it is all composition
    and after that processing the film to certain specs, and printing the image ... "
    there are tricks to composition, tricks to processing and printing
    even if the process is claimed to be straight forward

it ends up a case where the tricks arent tricks anymore . because they have become normal.

to an onlooker photography / chemical photography is a kind of parlor trick

its great to read how others are enjoying themselves ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday evening I had fun in perfectly developing some perfectly exposed HP5 in D23. I scanned it (well I photographed it on a lightbox) and had a bit of fun not having to modify any of it much to share on Flickr. If the weather cools down I expect to have fun making some wet prints from the roll - straight ones maybe. Or I might split grade print them (I especially like split grade printing since I was told off in a thread for doing so)

Yesterday morning I had fun exposing some lith film in a film canister pinhole camera then stand developing it in a plant pot holder hidden under a paterson tank, because I could not be arsed to make the bathroom lighttight, and then I forgot I had my phone on (bright screen) and then I opened the door before I should have and half the negative got sabatiered, and then I scanned it; and one day I might print it, once I've cut a mask the right size out of cardboard to go in the enlarger. Or I might contact print it and send a copy to john. Or I might throw it away.

Shooter
    Large Format
    pdeeh

sounds like a lot of fun
    hope the garden gnomes didnt mess with your film !

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    do you rely on processing tricks
    I would much rather rely on taking tricks like viewpoint, timing, perspective and composition.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin